Rasperry Pi OS would detect U2C+EBB42?

Hi,

I am going to make another attempt with the EBB42, this time I have come up with a test.

If I try to install Bigtreetch U2C + EBB, on a Rasperry PI OS installation (without Mainsail/Fluid), should I detect the U2C and then the EBB42 UUID?

The idea is to do that, with another SD, install I am going to make another attempt with the EBB42, this time I have come up with a test.

If I try to install Bigtreetch U2C + EBB, on a Rasperry PI OS installation (without Mainsail/Fluid), should I detect the U2C and then the EBB42 UUID?

The idea is to do that, with another SD, install Rasperry Pi OS (clean) and try to see if it detects it…

Would this work? (clean) and try to see if it detects it…

Would this work?

You will not be able to detect the U2C on the CAN bus since it is connected to the RPi to work as a converter(USB to CAN).

Since you will only have the U2C and EBB42 on the bus, then the only one jumper on the U2C is needed, the one closest to the USB-C connector. The 120-ohm jumper on the EBB42 is also needed.

I have completed this setup many times.

I have put this information together on these boards already.

U2C

EBB42

There is also Linux CAN bus tools that can be useful to see if the speed you have selected causes communications errors on the bus.

Can you elaborate on those tools? I’m curious to know about that.

You can get the Linux CAN bus utilities with sudo apt-get install can-utils

2 Likes

There is a command in those tools to put traffic on the bus. Do that command from one ssh terminal, then have a second ssh terminal open and run the ifconfig command and look at can0 for loss packets and errors. Some may show at the bus startup, but as long as the numbers don’t grow, you’re good.

Do the ifconfig command every so often to see if the errors or lost packets rise; if so, you might need to lower the baud rate or check for wiring connections and correct termination.

If you find the errors don’t rise then you might be able to go faster.

1 Like

Huh… I just tried that (I am guessing you mean cangen) and it doesn’t error or anything, but it also just doesn’t increment the received or sent bytes at all.

Strange no send or receive bytes.

This is how you have it set up?

The easiest way to test the USB to CAN interface is to put it in loopback mode. Nothing else needs to be plugged in, just the USB to can adapter of your choice needs to be connected to the Pi.

See for example: CAN Bus in Linux

I have similar… The board I a using its a Ebb42… That uses bigger 4 pin plug… And I have a jumped In Ebb42 and another in I2c

Thx i will try tomorrow