Connecting BTT SKR Mini E3 V3 Through UART To My PC (running Linux Mint) Via Rspi Pico

Hi, I got a SKR mini V3 and needless to say I’ve been having a hell of a time getting it going. It’s all been self induced mind you, so nothing on the manufacturers end. First I thought I’d be smart and try and make the wiring a little cleaner on the hotend fan and part cooling fan by using a 3 pin JST plug and just tie the grounds together since they were grounds and all and split them back again at the board to plug into their respective sockets. Thinking to myself you should probably just hook up that one extra wire as it was intended, but no I didn’t of coarse… When I powered it on for the first time the all familiar smell of burnt electronics permeated the room… lol smh… So I wired it as intended hoping the smell was just a figment of my imagination only to find out that my fans weren’t turning on, so did some googling and found a video of a gentleman who had reversed the polarity and he blew the transistors on his board, so I unsoldered some off my old board and swapped them out… After hooking it all back I wnet to plug in the usb connector and got a pretty good zap from what I’m guessing was static since its winter here and no comms after that… So can I use a pico through usb to use UART instead of a pi 3b? I have both but would like to use my pc rather than then Pi3 (BTT Pi), but either way I’d like to at least see if i got anywhere on my fan situation or just shell out some more cash for another board or not lol… Thanks

I’m not sure, I understand your description.

• Where do you intend to run the Klipper host process?
  • What do you intend to run of the Pico?
  • Which connection shall go where via UART?

I really dont know what I’m doing so it’s hard for me to describe my thought process I guess lol… I apologize for my ignorance, but what I was thinking was maybe using the pico as a UART bridge I believe it would be called, between the my desktop and the SKR since I’m not getting and communication from the micro usb on the SKR mini anymore… I figured UART was my only other option with micro usb on the main board not working?

You don’t need a bridge at all.

Flash the klipper firmware onto the controller und connect the controller to your PC

please note that it is afaik highly NOT recommended to use a desktop like your Mint Machine as a host.

Go with a SBC like a Raspberry or an orangePi/BananPi etc, especially if you are a beginner.

You first might check, what’s wrong with your SKR mini!

Are you sure your SKR mini is still alive?
What about the lights on your SKR mini. Are those on? Is there any LED on or blinking?

Are you experienced with electronics (like soldering, etc.)? That’s just a question from my side to get a feel about your experience regarding electronics.

It seems the SKR mini uses a USB micro connector. These wear out really easy.
Does the board connect, if you move the USB connector on the cable side to your SKR mini gently?

If not you might start digging deeper.

Good luck, hcet14

Ah, I begin to understand:

• Your PC does not have a UART interface
  • You want to connect your PC (which is running the Klipper host) to your board via UART
  • You would like to use the Pico as a bridge and basically go
PC ----USB----> Pico ----UART----> Printer-Board

So if this understanding is correct, you have likely two options:

1. Omit the Pico and use a USB TTL adapter to directly connect the board to your PC
  2. Flash your Pico with pico-uart-bridge and use it for this purpose. Here I cannot offer any insight, as I never tried this

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.