Klipper shuts down during extruder calibration

Basic Information:

Printer Model: ender 3 v2
MCU / Printerboard: 4.2.2 / RPi 4
klippy.zip (31.2 KB)

I had to install a new hotend to my printer and go through the installation process again. During the third cycle of the PID calibration klipper issues a shutdown command as the heater doesn’t heat fast enough (“Heater extruder not heating at expected rate”). That seems quite strange as the expected rate is yet to be determined. The log file hints to look at ‘verify_heater’ but I don’t really understand which of the parameters to change.

See Heater <name> not heating at expected rate

This is not a setting you usually determine. This is a Klipper sanity check to make sure the hardware works as expected, i.e. your heater is actually heating up.
All regular heater that I know or have dealt with during support activities can usually cope with Klipper’s default settings.

If your heater is really that weak, you might want to add

[verify_heater extruder]
check_gain_time: 40

If it craps out anyway, then you should consider changing it.

Thanks for your hints. I had actually read that FAQ before.

This is a new heater with new cables, nothing is burnt. The heater obviously is capable to heat up to 205 degrees several times. Only at the third or fourth calibration cycle the temperature does not raise as fast as klipper expects.

I will try with a relaxed gain time tomorrow

Problem solved: I actually missed to put the silicone cover on the heater block. It cooled down too fast, which made klipper believe that it doesn’t heat fast enough

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.