Macro Error keeps heaters on. Dangerous

For some macro errors (the ones that yield a red message rather than the grey message), it causes the print to stop. Worryingly, the print head maintains the last XYZ at error with all the heaters still on.

I had 2 occurrences of this where I was experimenting with new start macros. A jinja template error caused a red macro error and the print head just sat there, fire hazard in the making.

How do I change the default macro error behavior so that it turns off the heater or lifts the head away from the print surface?

See

Thanks. Wish I knew there was a massive safety hole with Moonraker + Fluidd on Klipper earlier. Luckily looks like no reports of fire in that issue yet, just damaged print surfaces.

Guess I’m never doing an overnight print again, the issue states even an MCU disconnect or error will keep heaters on.

Had the same (or a similar) issue three times.

Twice it was definitely user error. Move or extrusion out of range, it occured during the print start phase so it was no problem because I was still in front of the machine.

The third time I’m not sure, it just stopped printing mid-print and sat there with bed and extruder heater still on.

In my opinion this should never happen, no matter what stupid things I may have done.

I agree :100:.

This also happened to me, in my case it was at the end of the print and more problematically on my Delta where the effector goes down on it’s own.

Had to dig out my hotend from a completely molten part.

There is now a solution for this problem: Heaters Stay on after "Move exceeds maximum extrusion" with hotend melting the part. · Issue #3666 · Klipper3d/klipper · GitHub

1 Like