Trouble with SKR 1.4 + Klipper

klippy.log (252.8 KB)

Basic Information:

Printer Model: Used to be a Tevo Tarantula
MCU / Printerboard: SKR 1.4 + TMC2209 drivers
klippy.log

Hi all, I’m new to the group and new to Klipper, and I’ve run into a puzzling issue. I set up Klipper for the first time last night on an SKR 1.4 board and had all my steppers working correctly as well as the nozzle and bed heaters working. This morning I connected my nozzle & part fans, confirmed that X, Y, and Z steppers were still working, but now neither the nozzle on E0 (pin 2.7) nor bed (pin 2.5) will heat up. I used my multimeter to confirm that proper voltage is going in to the board, but when I turn on either of the heaters in Mainsail, there’s no output voltage. I tried moving my nozzle heater to E1 (pin 2.4), same result no voltage, no heat. Both fuses on the board are fine (confirmed continuity using a multimeter), and I tried unhooking my fans again, no change. Possibly related, I have my part fan connected to pin 2.3, but it comes on at 100% as soon as I apply power to the board even though Mainsail says it’s at 0%.

This feels like something happened to my board, though usually when a MOSFET fails it stays on rather than off, so I’m hoping I just I screwed up my printer.cfg somehow.

Anyone have suggestions?

Hello @BaronMind !

Actually there is no output voltage. Heaters are pulled to ground. But one of connectors should have some voltage (12V or 24V)

So you measured 12V or maybe 24V?

1 Like

Actually there is no output voltage. Heaters are pulled to ground. But one of connectors should have some voltage (12V or 24V)

The way I attempted to measure the voltage was by disconnecting the heater wires, then putting the positive and negative probes of my multimeter on the corresponding terminals of the board. Then I used Mainsail to turn on the corresponding heater. Is there a different/better way to measure voltage for the heater terminals?

So you measured 12V or maybe 24V?

Input voltage for the board is 12V at the moment, because the bed and nozzle heater cartridges I have are 12V. Using the method above, my digital multimeter registered 12V on the input terminals, but 0V on all three heater terminals - E0, E1, and the bed. Actually the heater terminals register about .03V as long as the board is powered on, whether or not I’ve turned on that particular heater. I assume that tiny voltage is bleeding in from somewhere else on the board.

This is quite surely a hardware issue:

As you can see in your log, the PWM is “full force”, i.e. 1, but the temp is not rising.
Are you sure, you really did not mix up bed and extruder in your wiring? Extruder target of 50 seems odd.

Generally speaking, your config looks good.

1 Like

Extruder target of 50 seems odd.

I wasn’t actually attempting to print anything, I just chose a random low value to see if I could get the nozzle to heat up at all. :slight_smile:

Generally speaking, your config looks good.

Thanks for checking that for me! Turns out AliExpress has the board on sale for only $25 with coupon. I decided to buy another one and I’m returning the original.

1 Like