Basic Questions on Resonance Testing

Basic Information:

Printer Model: Custom CoreXY
MCU / Printerboard: Octopus V1.1 & FLY SHT42
klippy.zip (770.7 KB)
printer.cfg (18.9 KB)
canFly.cfg (3.1 KB)

Questions about Resonance Testing Operation:

I’m using the ADXL345 that is built into the FLY SHT42 toolhead board for my printer to test acceleration on my tester. Everything has run fine but I have a couple of questions.

1. Is the orientation of the ADXL345 automatically detected or does it have to be specified explicitly? When I search online there is the statement that you have specify it manually and then there is a pull request to do it automatically. Which is the case? If I have to do it manually, is there any kind of simplified guide to explain how to specify the x, y, z parameters?

2. After running SHAPER_CALIBRATE and doing SAVE_CONFIG is anything else required? From the documentation, that seems to be it and when I look in printer.cfg (attached), I see that the “#*# <—// SAVE_CONFIG” section has been updated - will that data be provided automatically when Klibber starts?

3. What else needs to be done? I’m guessing setting the maximum acceleration, but it looks like after running the SHAPER_CALIBRATE and doing the SAVE_CONFIG, things are done and I can move onto other things.

I first ran the TEST_RESONANCES AXIS=X and TEST_RESONANCES AXIS=Y commands and followed through to produce the .pngs as specified in the documentation:

Followed by running the SHAPER_CALIBRATE command followed by SAVE_CONFIG and printer.cfg was updated with

#*# [input_shaper]
#*# shaper_type_x = 2hump_ei
#*# shaper_freq_x = 64.2
#*# shaper_type_y = mzv
#*# shaper_freq_y = 36.4

So, I think, I’m good.

Just looking for confirmation that I followed the process correctly - it was actually simpler than I would have expected (which makes me nervous).

1 Like

The current resonance test does not care about orientation - it just looks for resonance on any axis. So, you can safely ignore the orientation. (The various auto-calibrate PRs are to facilitate potential future tools that may care about orientation.)

That’s it. You’ve calculated and applied the basic input shaper settings.

-Kevin

2 Likes