Dents before corners at end of line

Recently switched from Marlin and seeing some artifacts that I never noticed when using it. Right before corners there is a divot, almost like an under extrusion. Its there no matter how I position the cube or what speed, length walls and acceleration I use. I’ve rebuilt my hot end and checked everything physically with the printer. I’ve tried both cura and superslicer with the exact same result and tried tweaking most settings in the config reference with little to no change. The problem gets a lot worse when I up the speed but stays consistent with acceleration. I’m using a sidewinder X1, mostly stock with a bl touch. This was printed in vase mode at 30mms with one wall and min layer time set to 0

And here are my current configs: GitHub - jmccaull/my-klipper-configs: klipper config that i currently use
Does anyone have any idea what’s going on or suggestions to fix this?

This appears to be related to pressure advance, which I didn’t see configured in your files. I’m not a huge fan of the official docs but it’s where you need to start, and then look at other tuning guides.

Thanks for the reply, that’s what I thought too. Maybe a setting was stuck in some cache, but I reinstalled klipper to no change then last night I reverted to Marlin and the cube looks exactly the same. At this point I’m thinking it could be related to octoprint. I never did any test prints after removing my old touch screen/USB/sd card reader but before installing klipper. I’m on the fence about opening it back up and rewiring everything for the old set up just to test this

Typically such “defects” are seldom firmware related (unless you mess up setting like pressure advance / linear advance)
For me this looks like a pronounced seam. Try different slicers / seam placement options

This is with spiralize so there shouldn’t be a seam, but its right before every corner, so maybe something with z height? Im thinking it’s actually related to USB somehow as it’s happening with both Marlin and klipper over octoprint. Going to try a different USB cable once I have time to open it up and report back

Pretty sure that it has nothing to do with cable etc. It is either mechanical, i.e. something with the extruder or Z axis (although Z-axis, I find unlikely) or some slicing topic.

Post your klippy.log file

So I think I’ve got this issue sorted out. I upgraded my extruder, fan and replaced my nozzle. I think the nozzle was ultimately the culprit and enough wider than expected to cause under extrusion or something.

Ok so now I’ve actually solved this, it is indeed a problem with PA and I would blame most of my issues on the tuning guide. I followed the PA tuning guide, including changing the acceleration/sqv, which I now believe is a mistake. Printing a tuning tower with my actual acceleration and sqv, the PA value I needed was almost 50% less than what I got following the guide. Further as I increase the speed/acceleration, I’m finding I need to keep reducing the value even further. This was also manifesting as wavy corners on the bottom of my prints, I assume due to speed differences in the first layer. The value I got following the guide was .065, with actual parameters I got around .045, and when I bump the speed up to 150mms I’m seeing something like .035

1 Like