Hold_current and run_current -- TMC2209

IMO, this answer is a bit too simple. There are two dimension to the story:

• The correct current for the stepper
  • A TMC driver chip matching the current requirements of the stepper

The correct current for the stepper

• Klipper uses RMS current as configuration values
  • Datasheets of the various stepper motors either give RMS or Peak current as rated current. More often peak current to my knowledge (often unclear from the specs)
  • Current as Peak Current: Multiply by 0.707 to get RMS and then by 0.85 as safety margin
  • Current as RMS: Multiply by 0.85 as safety margin
  • The safety margin of x0.85 can be tuned according to heat development and / or load of the stepper (e.g. Z-axis vs. Extruder stepper)
  • hold_current is of lower importance since it typically just keeps the stepper’s position in place and (except for maybe the Z-axis in Cartesian printers) is seldom in effect. Personally I use between 50% and 75% of the run_current
  • hold_current is not recommended any longer. It has been found that the switch between run_current and hold_current has a negative impact on precision

Matching TMC driver

• The drivers do some black magic aka IRUN current scale to achieve optimal microstep resolution
  • This can only efficiently do its work when the current requirements of the stepper matches the driver and the driver’s R-Sense value
  • A 2209 with the typical R-Sense of 0.11 Ohm has an ideal RMS working current between ~1.92 A (VSENSE = 0) and ~0.97 A (VSENSE = 1)
  • Klipper does an internal VSENSE switching to achieve higher accuracy at current scaling. IIRC, VSENSE = 1 is the optimal working condition
  • From this logic, running a 0.4 A NEMA14 stepper with a TMC5160 at R-Sense of 0.075 Ohm (RMS current ~3.11 A) seems like a bad idea

Disclaimer:
The “wisdom” above is my understanding of the matter and I happily stand corrected.

2 Likes