Menu.cfg gets overwritten at klipper update

When I do a Klipper update my menu.cfg gets overwritten. I have to copy my backup and paste it into the extras folder. Am I doing something wrong or do I just have to live with the inconvenience?

Thanks

logs-202366-101425.zip (507.1 KB)

The only reason, I can imagine, is that you are editing klippy/extras/display/menu.cfg, otherwise such a behavior is not possible.
Indeed, doing so, would be the wrong way. You will want to add your customized entries in the printer.cfg under the same heading / section as in the menu.cfg

This is what I was doing. Seemed like a tidier way of doing it. I guess I will move everything into printer.cfg

Thanks

Just include your modified menu config. It’s a single line in your printer.cfg to add it.

Sorry… I just got back to this today… I added the line “[include menu.cfg]” in the printer.cfg and put my menu.cfg file in the config root directory. I did a klipper update and my additions appear on the LCD menu but not in the proper order. It seems that klipper is defaulting to the menu.cfg in klippy/extras/display/ and adding the changes that are in my menu.cfg to the end of each menu group and not following my order. I renamed my menu.cfg and “included” that but I get the same result.

Not sure why this happens.
Do you use the complete menu.cfg from klippy/extras/display as basis for your include or does your included menu.cfg only contains your changes?
If the latter, I would try using the complete file and do your your modifications.

I use the complete menu.cfg file.

Thanks

I came across this old thread - same issue I am having

Hmm, seems a thing where Klipper could do better.
Ping @koconnor