Micro Swiss NG settings (extruder and BL Touch offset)

I am hoping that I can find someone else who has worked out the kinks and figured out the proper extruder settings and BL-Touch offset from nozzle with the Micro Swiss NG Direct Drive extruder. This is the newer direct drive with the motor angled. I am in the process of installing this on my Ender 3. I have an infant son at home, so my time I can dedicate physically to my machine is limited… hoping to get most of the info so that I can get it working as quickly as I can get the parts installed.

Greetings,

I am assuming that you have the basic fan shroud, and basic bltouch mount correct? I would give you my offset, however, I have an aftermarket fan shroud and bltouch mound installed on my printer. Fourtuntally there is a really easy way of figuring out the probe offset, and it only takes a couple of minutes.

First Tape a piece of paper to your bed, and then lower your nozzle with the printer controlls until it presses into the paper and makes a mark. Then Move X until your probe is aligned with your mark, and take a note of the distance it moved. Then do the same for y. Now here is the important part, take you numbers, mine were 55 on X, and 14 on Y, but these numbers are wrong. If your probe is behind your nozzle on y, they you must flip the polarity of the number. What I mean by that is you must turn the positive 14 (in my case) to a -14 because the bltouch is behind the nozzle. On the x, because the nozzle is is to the left of the nozzle, you must also flip the polarty of the number, from 55 (in my case), to -55. This is probally confusing, so ill give another example. If your probe was instead in front of the nozzle on y and to the right of the nozzle on x your initial numbers would be X: -55 and Y: -14, you would again have to flip the polarity of the numbers, from -14 to positive 14 and so forth.
My final numbers are X: -55 and Y: -14, and yours should be in this ball park as well.

Furthermore, I am working on Klipper settings for my NG extruder as well, I will share when I am confident in them.

Happy Printing!

Blake

@RonRN18 ,
Did you figure out the settings? I just set up Klipper today on my Ender 3 with a BTT SKR Mini v3 board. I also have a MIcro Swiss NG with a BL Touch (stock mount , stock fan shroud), and I’m looking for what the settings should be.

Hello!

Just got it working. It took a while to tweek, and you will want to check some settings as I am using a Big-Tree-Tech Manta. I am pretty confidant that I have got the pin assignments right, but you should check. But that should be pretty easy since BTT posts their pin assignments in their manual, and they are pretty easy to input.

You will also have to change some BLtouch settings, since I have a Cr-10 V3, and you have an Ender 3, mainly the bed size. You will also have to change your min and max probing area settings, and I have included an amazing video. 13:00 is where min and max probing area calibration starts, but the whole video is amazing, and watch it if you have any troubles. All resources are at the bottom of this massive post!

Happy printing!

#Here are the Extruder settings:
[extruder]
step_pin: PB3 #You want to double check this
dir_pin: PB4 #You want to double check this
enable_pin: !PD1 #You want to double check this
gear_ratio: 3:1
microsteps: 16
rotation_distance: 46 #you might need to calibrate this
nozzle_diameter: 0.4
filament_diameter: 1.75
heater_pin: PC8 # HE0 #You want to double check this
sensor_pin: PA0 # T0 #You want to double check this
sensor_type: Generic 3950 #You want to double check this
control: pid
pid_Kp: 22.2 #You might have to calibrate this
pid_Ki: 1.08 #You might have to calibrate this
pid_Kd: 114 #You might have to calibrate this
min_temp: 10
max_temp: 300

[tmc2209 extruder]
uart_pin: PC11 #You want to double check this
tx_pin: PC10 #You want to double check this
uart_address: 3 #You want to double check this
run_current: 0.650
stealthchop_threshold: 999999

#Here are the Bltouch settings

[bltouch]
sensor_pin: ^PC14 #You want to double check this
control_pin: PA1 #You want to double check this
x_offset: -55 #this should be correct, use the video at the bottom to figure out if it is
y_offset: -14 #this should be correct, use the video at the bottom to figure out if it is
samples: 1
speed: 2
z_offset: 0.0000 #watch the video of min and max probing starting at 0:00
stow_on_each_sample: false

[safe_z_home]
home_xy_position: x,y #Center Of Bed, replace x and y with your center coordinates
speed: 50
z_hop: 10
z_hop_speed: 5

[bed_mesh]
speed: 100
horizontal_move_z: 8
mesh_min: Xmin,Ymin #watch the video at the bottom, then replace Xmin and Ymin accordingly
mesh_max: Xmax,Ymax #watch the video at the bottom, then replace Xmax and Ymax accordingly
probe_count: 6,6 #this is the number of probing points on X then Y axis
mesh_pps: 2,2
fade_start: 1
fade_end: 10
fade_target: 0

Here is the manual for you to double check pin assignments:

Here is where I got my pin assignments:

Probe offsets: just look up: Setting your probe offsets (BLTouch or EZABL), and it should be the first result by chule’s flashlight reviews

Video to figure out min and max probing area 13:00: BL Touch complete setup for Klipper! Maximize your probed bed mesh! it should be the first result by PrintsLeo3d

Hi Blake,
where is the link to your video?
Kind regards, hcet14

Hello,

Sorry for not responding sooner, I have been sick for the last 5 days, and haven’t thought of this post until now. Klipper discourse group only lets you post two links per post for some reason. Obiously I should have just posted twice, the second one with the other two links. But I didn’t then, so now here they are:

Probe offsets: Setting your probe offsets (BLTouch or EZABL) - YouTube

Video to figure out min and max probing area 13:00: BL Touch complete setup for Klipper! Maximize your probed bed mesh! - YouTube

Happy Printing!
Blake

I also have a BTT Manta M8P with Tmc2209 that will run my Voron 2.4 when it gets complete. I’m wondering if you would be willing to share your printer cfg with me so I can see how to setup of my current printer with Microswiss NG, and have a good start on my Voron. My NG is printing ok currently but I only have the rotational distance set and looking at your settings you posted for the extruder, I see your distance is set in the 40s and mine is around 7.85. I don’t have the gear ratio either. When I loaded my cfg with the 46 rotation distance and gear ratio of 3:1, my extruder started skipping and grinding when I tried to run an extrusion calibration. Any advice/help would be great. I understand the cfg file isn’t plug and play but I’m having trouble understanding it all together. So much learning curve and I really just want to print decent tinkers. Thanks

Sure!

I’m absolutely fine with sharing my printer cfg, it’s not like I am the fastest speed printer who wants to keep my settings secret lol.

########################################
# Basic Printer Setup
[mcu]
serial: /dev/serial/by-id/usb-Klipper_stm32g0b1xx_14003E0009504B4633373520-if00

[printer]
kinematics: cartesian
max_velocity: 300
max_accel: 3500
max_accel_to_decel: 3500
max_z_velocity: 5
max_z_accel: 100

[exclude_object]

[idle_timeout]
timeout: 7200
# The default Idle Timeout is 600 seconds.

# X, Y, Z Stepper Setup

[stepper_x]
step_pin: PE2
dir_pin: !PB4
enable_pin: !PC11
rotation_distance: 40
full_steps_per_rotation: 200
endstop_pin: tmc2209_stepper_x:virtual_endstop
position_endstop: -2
position_max: 316
position_min: -2
homing_speed: 50
homing_retract_dist: 0

[tmc2209 stepper_x]
uart_pin: PC10
diag_pin: PF3
driver_SGTHRS: 125
run_current: 0.800

[stepper_y]
step_pin: PF12
dir_pin: !PF11
enable_pin: !PB3
rotation_distance: 40
endstop_pin: tmc2209_stepper_y:virtual_endstop
position_endstop: -6
position_max: 322
position_min: -6
homing_speed: 50
homing_retract_dist: 0

[tmc2209 stepper_y]
uart_pin: PF13
diag_pin: PF4
driver_SGTHRS: 125

[stepper_z]
step_pin: PD7
dir_pin: PD6
enable_pin: !PF10
rotation_distance: 8
endstop_pin: probe:z_virtual_endstop
#position_endstop: 0
position_max: 310
position_min: -6
homing_speed: 8
second_homing_speed: 3
homing_retract_dist: 3

[tmc2209 stepper_z]
uart_pin: PF9
##diag_pin: PF5
run_current: 0.650

#[stepper_z1]
#step_pin: PD3
#dir_pin: PD2
#enable_pin: PD5
#microsteps: 16
#rotation_distance: 8
#endstop_pin: probe:z_virtual_endstop
#position_endstop: 0
#position_max: 270
#position_min: -5.0
#homing_speed: 8
#second_homing_speed: 3
#homing_retract_dist: 3

#[tmc2209 stepper_z1]
#uart_pin: PD4
##diag_pin: PC0
#run_current: 0.650
#stealthchop_threshold: 999999

# Extruder and Heatbed Setup

[extruder]
step_pin: PC9
dir_pin: PC8
enable_pin: !PD1
rotation_distance: 7.5
nozzle_diameter: 0.4
filament_diameter: 1.75
max_extrude_only_distance: 100
heater_pin: PE3 # HE0
sensor_pin: PA1 # T0
sensor_type: Generic 3950
pid_Kp: 22.2
pid_Ki: 1.08
pid_Kd: 114
max_temp: 300
pressure_advance: .063

[tmc2209 extruder]
uart_pin: PD0

[heater_bed]
heater_pin: PB7
sensor_pin: PA0 # TB
sensor_type: Generic 3950
pid_Kp: 22.2
pid_Ki: 1.08
pid_Kd: 114
max_temp: 100

# BLTouch configuration

[bltouch]
sensor_pin: ^PB2 # this is unique to your mainboard
control_pin: PB1  #this is unique to your mainboard
x_offset: -55       #this needs to be calibrated
y_offset: -14       #this needs to be calibrated
samples: 2
speed: 2
z_offset: 4.299
stow_on_each_sample: true
probe_with_touch_mode: true

[safe_z_home]
home_xy_position: 150,150 #this should be the center of your bed
speed: 50 
z_hop: 10
z_hop_speed: 5

[bed_mesh]
speed: 80
horizontal_move_z: 8
mesh_min: 10, 10       #!!min and max co-ords are based on the probes location not the nozzle!!
mesh_max: 261, 295  #needs to be calibrated for your individual printer
probe_count: 6,6 #this is the number of probing points on X then Y axis
mesh_pps: 2,2
fade_start: 1
fade_end: 10
fade_target: 0

# Fans configuration

[fan]
pin: PE6

[heater_fan fan1]
pin: PE0
heater: extruder
heater_temp: 50.0

[heater_fan fan2]
pin: PC12

[heater_fan fan3]
pin: PE5

[heater_fan fan4]
pin: PE4
tachometer_pin: PC13
fan_speed: 1
heater_temp: 25.0

[heater_fan fan5]
pin: PB8
tachometer_pin: PC14
fan_speed: 1.0

[heater_fan fan6]
pin: PB9
tachometer_pin: PC15
fan_speed: 1.0

# Board Pins Configuration, Do NOT Change

[board_pins]
aliases:
    # EXP1 header
    EXP1_1=PE9, EXP1_2=PE10,
    EXP1_3=PE11, EXP1_4=PE12,
    EXP1_5=PE13, EXP1_6=PE14,    # Slot in the socket on this side
    EXP1_7=PE15, EXP1_8=PB10,
    EXP1_9=<GND>, EXP1_10=<5V>,

# EXP2 header
    EXP2_1=PB14, EXP2_2=PB13,
    EXP2_3=PF7, EXP2_4=PB12,
    EXP2_5=PE7, EXP2_6=PB11,      # Slot in the socket on this side
    EXP2_7=PE8, EXP2_8=<RST>,
    EXP2_9=<GND>, EXP2_10=PC5

# Input Shaper

[input_shaper]
shaper_freq_x: 23.5  # frequency for x
shaper_freq_y: 28.5  # frequency for y
shaper_type: mzv

# See the sample-lcd.cfg file for definitions of common LCD displays.

#[bltouch]
#sensor_pin: PB2
#control_pin: PB1

# Proximity switch
#[probe]
#pin: PF6

#[output_pin ps_on_pin]
#pin: PC3

#[neopixel my_neopixel_1]
#pin: PC6

#[neopixel my_neopixel_2]
#pin: PA9

#[hall_filament_width_sensor]
#adc1: PC5
#adc2: PB0

Thanks so much! Is this with the micro Swiss NG? How do I find what the full steps per rotation is for NG? The instructions from micro Swiss say to put esteps at 400 but I can’t figure out how that transfers to Klipper configuration. I calibrated the rotation distance with my caliper and extrusion at 100mm so that part is dialed but my dimensions are still off for printing. Also holes printed in walls come out flattened. Thanks for sharing.

Hello,

I just noticed that you asked for something that I didn’t respond to. I am so very sorry! Yes, this is for the microswiss ng. Btw, please don’t paste my config into your voron, I have a cr-10 v2, and a voron is much different, just use it for pin assignments and such.

Here is a fantastic spreadsheet that I used to calibrate my printer: Copy of Klipper Calibrations - Google Sheets
Just make a copy of it for your own use, but I have the settings pasted in it that you should need to use. It even has a handy built-in calculator that is used for calibrating your rotation distance to get accurate extrusions! It also takes esteps and converts them to rotation distance.

Holes in my walls come out flattened as well, I think that it might have something to do with the hole size and a setting in the slicer. When I print a benchy, it has nice round holes, but when I try to print small holes, they become flattened. Personally, though, If trying to screw something into it, it makes it very easy for the screw to grip it. I think the slicer just doesn’t pay attention to that type of detail, If you want, just support them. that may also do the trick.

Hope that helps!
Blake

1 Like

Just seeing this. Did you create the document? Pretty intense! I didn’t use your config file, I just wanted to look and see what I might have been missing for the NG extruder settings. I am finally running ABS and had a learning curve with bed sticking and now part cooling. I went with printing my own parts for the Voron because you have to print to get better. A magic slicer profile would be nice though lol

Hello!

No I found the document from a yt video on how to adjust rotation distance.

Blake

the spread sheet is fine and all but which is it? 1,8 or ,9

Could you be more specific?
Are you asking about cells E2 (F2) and E3 (F3)?