Neopixel led string acting strange

Basic Information:

Printer Model: Voron 2.4
MCU / Printerboard: Octopus v1.1
klippy.log not including log since it fails from the console

Fill out above information and in all cases attach your klippy.log file (use zip to compress it, if too big). Pasting your printer.cfg is not needed
Be sure to check our “Knowledge Base” Category first. Most relevant items, e.g. error messages, are covered there

I tried to delete the post, but no luck. I have come to the conclusion that my LEDs are flakey.
I think the serial data is getting corrupted because of how they behave.
I have new leds ordered…arriving tomorrow.
Will update with the results.
My three leds on the stealth burner are acting strange. I started debugging LED macros and have narrowed the problem down to this.

These are 3 wire leds (one data line)

I confirmed the “INDEX” is correct by using set_led from the console to turn each LED off and on properly.

HOWEVER, colors are not responding properly.

Now here is the really weird thing.

The LOGO led works properly (index1) colors respond correctly

Now using index 2 when I set “GREEN=1” the logo LED activates to white

09:46:17 $ SET_LED LED=sb_leds RED=0 GREEN=0 BLUE=0 INDEX=1 Works correctly

09:46:25 $ SET_LED LED=sb_leds RED=1 GREEN=0 BLUE=0 INDEX=1 Works correctly

09:46:56 $ SET_LED LED=sb_leds RED=0 GREEN=0 BLUE=1 INDEX=2 nozzle goes RED color

09:47:23 $ SET_LED LED=sb_leds RED=0 GREEN=1 BLUE=0 INDEX=2 nozzle LED turns off and logo goes white

09:48:47 $ SET_LED LED=sb_leds RED=1 GREEN=0 BLUE=1 INDEX=2 nozzle goes Green

ANY IDEAS ???

Are your NeoPixels RGBW and not RGB?

Is the white color that you get here: “Now using index 2 when I set “GREEN=1” the logo LED activates to white” a different white as if you set “SET_LED LED=sb_leds RED=1 GREEN=1 BLUE=1 INDEX=1” ?

In that case you may have a separate white LED-chip in your neopixels right next to your RGB-LED-chips.

Default Color order in the Neopixel LED driver is GRB.
Consider this:
You only send data for three LEDs instead of the required four:

Command                                            INDEX1      INDEX2
                                                   G R B W     G R B W
SET_LED LED=sb_leds RED=0 GREEN=0 BLUE=0 INDEX=1   0 0 0 0     0 0 - -
SET_LED LED=sb_leds RED=1 GREEN=0 BLUE=0 INDEX=1   0 1 0 0     0 0 - -
I presume that you set INDEX1 to 0, 0,0 before the following commands
SET_LED LED=sb_leds RED=0 GREEN=0 BLUE=1 INDEX=2   0 0 0 0     0 1 - -
SET_LED LED=sb_leds RED=0 GREEN=1 BLUE=0 INDEX=2   0 0 0 1     0 0 - -
SET_LED LED=sb_leds RED=1 GREEN=0 BLUE=1 INDEX=2   0 0 0 0     1 0 - -

Try to add “color_order=GRBW, GRBW, GRBW” to your printer.cfg.

PM me for where to send the extra LEDs that you ordered as replacements :wink:

To be honest, since the LOGO led is inside the case, it is hard to tell the actual color of white.
However I did add the WHITE=1 parameter along with GRBW change and there is no “white chip” in the LED.
I am pretty sure that Klipper maintains an array for the three LED’s. The array holds each chip settings, and updates each entry based on the index value. When Transmit=1, then the entire array is transmitted.
I really think the MCU that controls the LED pin is working since the logo led works fins as long as I don’t send a Green value to led2.
I will keep you posted on the results…thanks for the response

Too bad, that is strange though, since your results indicated that the LEDs just got to little data.
Klipper do maintain an array for the LEDs but the size of the data that is sent depends on how you set up color_order for the LEDs.

Yes, please keep me posted, now I´m curious :slight_smile:

Gentlemen…thank you for your suggestions.
Looks like I messed up. My LED’s that are installed are actually RGBW. The one combination that I did not try.
I received the new LED’s that I ordered, and they were in fact RGBW…which got me to thinking about the difference between the two types. I tried several combinations of color_order…but obviously not RGBW.

I learned something on this one…

Dan

So I was on the right track but failed to see that it was the wrong order.
You´re welcome, have fun! :slight_smile:

Yup…you got me to the right spot…and it finally clicked…Thanks Again

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.