Printer shuts down when another printer is turned off on multi instance

Basic Information:
Voron Trident + V2.4
Fystec Spider V2.2 + V2.3
klippy.zip (4.4 MB)

I am using a linux laptop with multiple instances as a host for my printers. The printers I usually use are a Voron Trident and Voron V2.4 and both run fine for weeks long. But when I turn one off while the other is still printing lately, the other one shuts down right after an I need to toggle power and after a minute it is back running again.
They both cause this issue on each other and I don’t have any ideas what might cause this.

I am grateful for any ideas before I get a Pi to host them on.

Your log contains errors like:

Got error -1 in write: (11)Resource temporarily unavailable

and:

Transition to shutdown state: MCU 'mcu' shutdown: Missed scheduling of next digital out event
This is generally indicative of an intermittent
communication failure between micro-controller and host.

My guess is that turning off the PSU to one printer causes a some kind of electrical disruption on the USB bus that interrupts the data communication for the other printer. If you’re using an external USB hub, maybe try getting rid of that. You could also try isolating the power lines of the USB cables so that they’re only used for data, not power (assuming your controller boards are powered by the printer PSU and not over USB).

The boards are all powered by their PSU and directly connecting to the USB ports on my hos. So will I need to cover the power pins on the USB plugs in my host computer so there is no voltage on them?

That’s what I would try.

Will ferrite cores help as well? Or shielded cables?

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.