Rebooting randomly

Basic Information:

Printer Model: Voron 2.4
MCU / Printerboard: Octopus
klippy (9).log (1.9 MB)

Just built my voron and I am having an issue where Klipper will reboot itself without any warning. It does not matter what it is currently doing. Sometimes it will reboot while running “PRINT_START” or if it is idle. Thinking it might be a wiring issue but everything seems fine there too. Any help is appreciated.

Taking a look at your logs, klippy does not even generate an error or a hint as to why it is shutting down. This indicates to me that the problem has to be with the RPi (or whichever SBC you are using). It won’t be a connection problem between RPi and mainboard, if it was then klippy would generate an error, so I suspect that there is a problem either with a) the power supply (including wiring) to the RPi, or b) (less likely) that the SD Card in the RPi is corrupted in some way. How are you powering the RPi?

The only indication is:

mcu 'mcu': Timeout on connect
mcu 'mcu': Wait for identify_response
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/pi/klipper/klippy/serialhdl.py", line 68, in _get_identify_data
    params = self.send_with_response(msg, 'identify_response')
  File "/home/pi/klipper/klippy/serialhdl.py", line 259, in send_with_response
    return src.get_response([cmd], self.default_cmd_queue)
  File "/home/pi/klipper/klippy/serialhdl.py", line 317, in get_response
    cmd_queue)
  File "/home/pi/klipper/klippy/serialhdl.py", line 251, in raw_send_wait_ack
    self._error("Serial connection closed")
  File "/home/pi/klipper/klippy/serialhdl.py", line 61, in _error
    raise error(self.warn_prefix + (msg % params))

Could it be that the pi is overheating? I have the pi connected to an external power supply because it was doing the same thing when powered via the octopus. I did have the controller fans set very low

I may reflash if necessary. However, I have tried this. It may be that both of my sd cards are garbage

Where did you get your SD cards?

One came with my LDO kit and the other I think was purchased within the last year for my other printer

Can I suggest that you go somewhere like Staples or Best Buy and get Sandisk or Lexar SD cards?

Kingston can be of questionable quality as they buy on the spot market and a number of people counterfeit them. Similarly, avoid buying SD cards on Amazon as you don’t know who you’re getting them from or what you’re actually getting.

Going with big box stores with higher end cards will cost you 25% more but you can be more sure of their quality and operation.

Good luck!

Thanks for the advice! Both the ones I have are sandisk. I will do some more testing this weekend with the fans cranked. If that does not alleviate the issue I will try a new card.

1 Like

Maybe.

What is your setup? You powered the RPi from octopus. How?

Could you post a picture?

It could be overheating. You can monitor the temp of the RPi cpu and the Octopus cpu by adding the following to your printer.cfg:

[temperature_sensor raspberry_pi]
sensor_type: temperature_host
min_temp: 10
max_temp: 100

[temperature_sensor mcu_temp]
sensor_type: temperature_mcu
min_temp: 0
max_temp: 100

That way you will know for sure

I will add this thank you.

I did have it powered by the octopus but then tried it with an external 5v 3a power supply to make sure power wasn’t the issue

I have a Mellow FLY-SHT42 board in my system and I want to get its temperature.

Using your statements above, I can get my rPi and main controller board, but I can’t figure out how to access the FLY-SHT42’s temperature sensor.

I’ve defined the FLY-SHT42 as

[mcu canFly]

and have tried various combinations of the adding “canFly” into the

[temperature_sensor mcu_temp]

and

statements with no luck - just get various build errors.

Can you suggest how I can address the FLY-SHT42’s MCU temperature sensor?

Thanx!

I’m sorry mate, I have no idea. All I know for certain is that it works on my Fysetc Spider mainboard.

I will however be installing a FLY-SHT36 V2 within the next few weeks, and if I find out how to get the temp sensor going, I will let you know :slight_smile:

1 Like

You would define your temperature sensor as follows:

[temperature_sensor canFly_temp]
sensor_mcu: canFly
2 Likes

That got it:

Thanx!

1 Like