SPI can't write to tmc2240 after few print jobs

Basic Information:

Printer Model: something like Voron trident
MCU / Printerboard: Octopus Pro STM32F429 + EBB36 STM32G0
klippy (1).log (110.5 KB)

Klicky probe + custom sensorless homing (changed to tmc2240): Klicky-Probe/Klipper_macros/klicky-sensorless-homing.cfg at 9bfb6ca82c73355d8a165603620ef02984970d87 · jlas1/Klicky-Probe · GitHub

klipper v0.12.0-114-ga77d0790
mainsail v2.10.0
mainsail-config v1.2.1-0-ge57810d5
moonraker v0.8.0-318-g9813011d

Hello

Help me please. Looks like my BTT tmc2240 died after 3 print jobs. ( Hardware doesn’t react physically to homing.

BTT Octopus Pro F429 + BTT TMC 2240 + BTT 12864 mini v2 + Klipper + motors with 0,65A.

Before last print job console shows error “Unable to write tmc spi ‘stepper_x’ register GCONF” but I could start print job.

Then I turned off printer. Changed case for screen and turned on print. Now I can’t make homing bcs of spi problem with TMC2240.

Unable to write tmc spi ‘stepper_x’ register GLOBALSCALER

probe: TRIGGERED

Homing Y

moving to a safe Z distance

No axis homed

G28 Y

Unable to write tmc spi ‘stepper_x’ register GCONF

probe: TRIGGERED

Homing Z

Homing Y

Homing X

X or Y not homed, forcing full G28

moving to a safe Z distance

No axis homed

G28

Configuration

[stepper_x]

step_pin: PF13

dir_pin: PF12

enable_pin: !PF14

rotation_distance: 40

microsteps: 32

full_steps_per_rotation:200

endstop_pin: tmc2240_stepper_x:virtual_endstop

homing_retract_dist: 0

position_min: -45

SPI 2240

[tmc2240 stepper_x]

spi_software_sclk_pin: EXP2_2

spi_software_mosi_pin: EXP2_6

spi_software_miso_pin: EXP2_1

cs_pin: PC4

run_current: 0.65

diag0_pin: ^!PG6 #^PG6

driver_SGT: 1

stealthchop_threshold: 0 #999999

I disconnected BTT 12864 mini v2 from board, turned on printer and printer made homing wo errors O_o I tested 2 BTT 12864 mini. Same problem.

Some info about conflicts with screens ht tps://github.com/bigtreetech/Manta-M5P/issues/14#issuecomment-1627799410

Well, if it worked before and you did not change anything then likely you have some hardware defect.

some conflict with BTT 12864 mini after few prints. Edited 1 post in the end

I’m not sure, why you would want to define a software SPI for the drivers.
The board offers a dedicated hardware SPI for them.

I don’t understand this. There are very few reviews on the Internet about the 2240 setting in this firmware. There is only 1 video on YouTube, but the person has problems.

Please tell me how to do it right. I will then share the information with others in the form of a short article.

People wrote that some SPI in BTT Octopus pro F429 isn’t protected with something

Maybe can be usable info about SPI on octopus

Interesting. I own an Octopus Pro myself and never had hardware / design issues like this.
For me the SPI config as per BIGTREETECH-OCTOPUS-V1.0/Firmware/Klipper/generic-bigtreetech-octopus-pro-v1.1.cfg at master · bigtreetech/BIGTREETECH-OCTOPUS-V1.0 · GitHub [tmc2130 ...] section works.

Just rename to 2240 or 5160 or whatever drivers you use.

It is known that sharing the same software-SPI between drivers and other equipment can lead to issues. See Multiple Devices on SPI Bus not working (TMC Steppers and Display)

After 3rd prints it works only if I disconnected BTT 12864 from EXP2

Your link doesn’t work for me: “Option ‘spi_bus’ is not valid in section ‘tmc2240 stepper_x’”

Will read your links. Thx.

maybe will resolder tmc2240 to UART. I hope that thermal sensors will work with SPI.

STM32F429 has 6 SPI and Bigtreetech connect many things to only spi1 (

It looks like I have found the cause of the problem. I have a long cable to the display (about 1.5 meters) because the printer is large, the electronics are in the back, and the screen is on top in the front.

If there is too much cable running along the profile of the printer, then there is a problem with the registers.

If I remove the cable from the printer profile (like on the picture), the problem disappears.

Currently, this printer’s outlet does not have a ground connection.

The power of the printer’s LED backlight does not seem to affect the problem.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.