TMC5160 Current Limits

Hi All,

I spent some time today looking through and understanding how the TMC IRUN/IHOLD values interact with sense resistors and I noticed that there’s hard current limit configured as a constant in the definition for the TMC5160.

There’s been a few driver boards (external) released recently that are capable of pushing more than the 3A current limit defined, for example the BTT TMC5160T Plus has a 0.022ohm sense resistor meaning it’s capable of pushing ~10.6A RMS. There’s another Mellow board that’s good for 7A also.

The sensibilities of either configuring or requiring this much current aside, is it worth potentially revisiting this hard current limit?

The obvious “fix” is to just raise that limit to something higher, but I was pondering if it might be a better idea to have a global configuration item (maybe under the printer stanza) to either relax, or disable the current limits for a particular type of driver. This would allow us to leave guardrails in place to prevent accidental typos etc, but allowing experienced used to explicitly adjust the limit if required.

1 Like

this will be fixed with https://github.com/Klipper3d/klipper/pull/6381

yeah, I forgot to mention this, I was pointed to this by someone who works with BTT and I’d provided some feedback prior to the PR.

Doesn’t have the guardrails I would’ve loved to prevent people from accidentally configuring way too much current, but working is better than not!