Tuning tower command doesn't seem to work

Basic Information:

Printer Model: my own design CoreXY, working well for over 6 years now.
MCU / Printerboard: MKS SBase 1.3, smoothie-like board, working well for over 3 years now.
Host / SBC Raspberry Pi 4, working well for over a year now.

Describe your issue:

I had a SD card failure on the Pi and did a full new install, as the backups I had were on my old laptop, on which the harddrive failed. So, fresh install, no other changes, and I started tuning with the manual as the guide. Everything goes well, no issues, except for the resonance compensation. I follow the instructions to the letter, as I did first time around a year ago, when I switched over from Marlin to Klipper. But printing the ringing tower with the tuning tower command to slowly increase the max accel, it just doesn’t do that. The item prints, I can count the ringing and I have meanwhile set the frequencies and such in the printer.cfg and that works. But why doesn’t the system increase the max accel as it should? I’ve now printed 5 separate towers manually increasing the max accel in the printer.cfg. Setting it to 9k (allowing for all values in the tower print) makes it print at 9k the whole tower, setting it to zero or commenting the command out (as suggested to me on Fakebook) doesn’t work, Klipper doesn’t allow that. Cura is set to not bother with accelleration, so Klipper is free to run that. What can I check, what could cause this not to work?
Cheers,
Hugo

Please attach the klippy.log to your next post. It already has been asked for.

And please: Write more structured. It is not easy to read such a pile of text and then also excerpt the essential information from it.

klippy.log (2.7 MB)

I’m sorry I had some trouble getting Windoze to accept the klippy log download. I’m not very good at this. Which is also why I have a hard time structuring data / info. I’m a story teller, not an engineer. The file should be attached, now.

Just a funny thought. Soon after upgrading from Marlin2.0 to Klipper, I changed the X-axle with extruder cart from my previous design at 1,7 kg, to my new design at 0,7 kg. Never changed anything in the set-up. The heavy set-up maxed at 3500 mm/s2, could it be this new set-up only starts misbehaving above 7k, so outside of the reach of the original tuning tower command line? Is is weird to have a value like that higher than 7k?

Cheers,

Hugo

I’m not sure that I understand what you are reporting.

If you had followed the instructions given in Resonance Compensation - Klipper documentation, then your klippy.log would need to contain output like:

toolhead: max_velocity: 300.000000
max_accel: 5000.000000
max_accel_to_decel: 3500.000000
square_corner_velocity: 5.000000
extruder: pressure_advance_model: linear
pressure_advance: 0.000000
pressure_advance_smooth_time: 0.010000
pressure_advance_time_offset: 0.000000
shaper_type_x:mzv smoother_freq_x:80.000
shaper_type_y:mzv smoother_freq_y:42.600
Starting tuning test (start=1500.000000 step_delta=500.000000 step_height=5.000000)

None of this is anywhere in your log. This means either:

1. Your log does not fit to the described effects OR
  2. You did not follow the instructions

At the very minimum, each tuning tower command leaves a log entry similar to:

Starting tuning test (start=1500.000000 step_delta=500.000000 step_height=5.000000)

I didn’t use that command in the last print, I am now making many prints manually raising the max accel value inbetween prints. As I didn’t see any changes in the ‘clevage’ occouring when I used the command. I don’t know what the klippy log records. Only the last print? Then it didn’t record the tuning tower command, as I used that a few times before to no avail and now working manually. I followed the instructions to the letter but there was no change between bottom and top of the printed tower.

Hugo

Start printer at Fri Apr  5 19:39:49 2024 

This is where your log begins. Without a log showing the issue and maybe some pictures of a manual run versus tuning_tower there is not much that we can contribute.

Hi, I’ve meanwhile found out the tuning tower does work. It is just that my max accel can be a lot higher than 7k, while in the previous itteration of my printer it started widening the gap in the print at about 4k. So I ran that printer-variation at 3.5k. I’ve since lightened the moving bits, obviously with success… Because the gap in the tuning tower didn’t budge, I thought it didn’t work. Hence my question here.
So this is ‘solved’, now I only need to figure out why I have major layer shift issues since my fresh install. Different topic.

Hugo