Z Tilt Check Without Klipper Auto Adjusting?

I am wondering if there is a way to check Z Tilt without Klipper auto adjusting the lead screws? Say I do a Z tilt adjust, and it is nice and level, then I just want to check if it is still where I left it or if it has changed since I last checked, how would I go about doing that?.

If I could have a Z Tilt check macro just like the Z Tilt adjust macro, that would be even better.

Without additional hardware: No.

The moment the Z-motors are powered off, they lose their position and the tilt adjust is down the drain.

I did it a different way:

I have a dual Z-axes printer with another Z-endstop installed. Z-homing just go to the endstops and the both axes are levelled.

I have been wanting to do that so it can home after power loss with toolhead in safe place, but not sure how to with my setup. Currently, I have BTT SKR 1.4 Turbo, I have BLTouch for Z endstop, Dual Z axis with Z1 assigned to E1 driver, and sensorless homing for X and Y using TMC2209’s… Do I just reassign one of the X or Y end stop pins for a secondary Z homing sequence? Maybe you can give me a config example so I can take a look how you did it?

I also have a BTT Octopus V1.1, but I wont be upgrading to that till I get some TMC5160T’s. I am basically using the SKR 1.4 Turbo for my learning process so I dont mess up my better board.

https://www.klipper3d.org/G-Codes.html#get_position

and in more detail

https://www.klipper3d.org/Code_Overview.html#coordinate-systems

But that’s only valid after you’ve homed.

I have been wanting to do that so it can home after power loss with toolhead in safe place,

https://www.klipper3d.org/Config_Reference.html#safe_z_home

If you mean make sure that the gantry isn’t skewed so that the back of it doesn’t hit the bottom when you rehome… I have the same issue and have been thinking about implementing something for it to configure psuedo endstops on the back of my Voron 2.4 gantry.

I’m got a 350mm setup and the back of the gantry sags a lot when the power is off.
I’ve thought about adding some endstops as a psuedo button and see if I can code it where if while homing it hits one of those on the back of the gantry it moves the back up the gantry up by a set amount and tries homing again.

Then again, I’m also thought about using some servos and making a “kickstand” when I power off.

1 Like

Sometimes I want to check current z tilt position because I walked away since last calibration/home/ztilt, and I’m not sure if the motors may or may not have powered down causing alignment change, so it would be nice to do a quick check to verify current position rather than go through a full on Z-Tilt calibration back and forth over and over till it levels.

In addition to that, I would love to have 2 homing options on my CoreXY. 1. Home on clean build plate using bltouch in center of bed, and 2. an option to home/z tilt align using an endstop switch per motor without the bltouch needing to home in center of bed before any calibration process. If there was a way to add a mechanical endstop switch per z motor, or use sensorless homing per motor in addition to bed probe, that would very be helpful.

That’s impossible because once the motors power down Klipper has no idea where they’re at. You have to rehome unless you implement a linear position sensor or something similar.

If there was a way to add a mechanical endstop switch per z motor

Multi Stepper Config

#endstop_pin:
#   If an endstop_pin is defined for the additional stepper then the
#   stepper will home until the endstop is triggered. Otherwise, the
#   stepper will home until the endstop on the primary stepper for the
#   axis is triggered.