Can't figure out which shaper to use

Basic Information:

Printer Model: Ender3 V2 heavily modified
MCU / Printerboard: SKR mini E3 V3

Describe your issue:

I’m printing many ringing towers to try different shapers and it seems that no matter the shaper I select, I always get gaps (too much smoothing) on the Y axis (in reference to Klipper documentation). I print with the recommended settings from klipper, starting at 1500 accel all the way up to 7000.

I tested ei, mzv, zv, 3hump_ei with peak frequency values and with IS recommended frequency values.

Can someone help? Am I doing something wrong?

The y shaper with the MZV recommendation is very unlikely causing any gap.
Your x axis is really looking bad and the recommended shaper is the strongest one, known to be causing high smoothing.
Never seen two such strong maxima. Maybe your heavy modifications (whatever that means) did go into the wrong direction at least WRT the vibration.

I see two possible solutions:

• Fix your printer mechanically
  • Ignore the peak at 125 Hz (high frequency vibration have less effect on ringing) and set your X shaper to MZV @40 Hz to get rid of the low frequency peak

Thank you for your reply.

Just to add more info about the X and Y mods I have in place:
For the X axis:

1. Direct Drive Orbiter v2 extruder with Phaetus Dragon HF and two 5015 fans
  2. Replaced smooth idler with 20T toothed idler.
  3. Using Creality 42-40 motor instead of 42-32.

Y axis:

1. Replaced to a 2Amps motor.
  2. Replaced smooth idler with 20T toothed idler.
  3. Replaced stock bed carriage with a 50% lighter bed carriage.

Checking the ringing tower from 1500 to 7000 accel values, they all have gaps. image for reference from klipper’s doc

I cannot comment on the changes but it seems they had a detrimental effect especially on the x axis when comparing to standard Ender 3. This might be due to:

• Higher weight
  • Moved center of gravity
  • Loss in stiffness / loose parts like the fans
  • etc
  • First make sure not to alter the direction of this model. It needs to be printed in exactly the orientation as given
  • There are always some sort of gaps. The key indication how much they get wider with increasing acceleration. This test is intended to find the balance between max acceleration and smoothing
1 Like

Again, thank you for your input.

I think you ticked all the right boxes for the X axis. It does have a higher weight, and the way the fan ducts are mounted on the toolhead is not the best (using the Hero Gen Me 6).

But I also did a poor job of handling the loom.

Used the Hero Gen design a while back (guess it was Gen 3 or 4) and I did not like it:

• Too heavy / too many compromises due to the flexibility / modularity
  • For a regular “consumer printer” two 5015 are an overkill IMO. Need for airflow is directly proportional to printing speed / acceleration. Thus such high airflow absolutely makes sense for high-speed / high acceleration printers like the Vorons etc.

So a single 5015 is more than enough for the highest speeds an Ender 3 v2 can get to?

What about the extra cooling for bridging and overhangs? Doesn’t the 2nd 5015 help?

Lastly, do you have a printhead that you can recommend?

by the way, I was able to improve a bit the X axis.

I placed 4 pieces of foam and then a concrete slab on them and the printer sits on it.
I tightened all the screws I could find. I know it’s not enough.

Is it improved overall?

On my smaller / slower printer I use a modified GitHub - VoronDesign/Voron-Afterburner: VORON Afterburner Upgrade
Well, or what is left of it. I just use the lower part and modified the upper one to take a Orbiter v2

Never noticed any issues WRT cooling

Yes, better. You managed to get down the magnitude of the second peak. Note that the script still recommends to use 3HUMP_EI. I would ignore this and use the recommended settings for MZV

1 Like

Are you able to share the modified part for the orbiter v2? I use that as well.

Thanks for all the help!

Would not make too much sense since this integrates the interface to the linear rail. But check thingiverse / printables, there are some projects to adapt the Voron design to the Ender:

https://www.printables.com/de/model/139183-ender-3-v2-voron-stealthburner-conversion

https://www.printables.com/model/309380-voron-afterburnerstealthburner-adapter-plate-for-e

The last one already contains a Orbiter mod.

1 Like

Shameless plug: you can always try my design. It has been working very well for me, although I am naturally biased :slight_smile:

CrOD - Creality Orbiting Dragon by ReXT3D - Thingiverse

2 Likes

@ReXT3D That looks very interesting! Really nice design.

My stock ender 3 v2 X carriage might be slightly different than what you have.
It looks exactly like this with the hole: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09NW31DCY

Do you think it will fit your design?
Also, where do you mount the ADXL?

Nice design @ReXT3D. Clean and compact :+1:

Thank you very much for your help!

2 Likes

Thank you :smiling_face:

Not the prettiest one out there but I was on a mission.

Thank you. To be honest I am not sure if Creality has made any dimensional changes to the X carriage for the various printer revisions. You would have to check for any dimensional differences. But you do have to keep in mind that my purpose was not to design a universal toolhead but instead design something very specific for my needs, using Orbiter 2 and the Dragon hot end. I listed my design objectives on the Thingiverse page. I also had no intentions to create this design for others to use but I am happy to share it in case anyone else does find it useful. This was an exercise for me in exploring Fusion 360 and creating a more complex design that required lots of thought about the function and the assembly.

I don’t keep the accelerometer permanently attached and I did not design a specific mount for it. I use layer of double sided tape underneath the ADXL board, an insulating layer of electrical tape on top of the board to protect the components, and then another layer of aluminum duct tape on top of the electrical tape. This is very easy to remove and works extremely well. It also allows me to easily install the accelerometer in different places on the print head as well as the bed.

If you are serious about trying a different print head, there are many different options available for the Ender as it is one of the most popular printers. I am very partial to the Orbiter 2, and Robert (the designer) has a collection of different print heads on the Orbiter web site: Orbiter v2.0 – ORBITER PROJECTS, including one that looks really nice that he designed himself for LDO to produce (it’s still in “beta”): Apogee Ender 3 V2 Tool-head – ORBITER PROJECTS

I personally try to keep away from any of the universal “one fits all” designs because they typically suffer from compromises necessary to make them universal.

1 Like

Yeah, I’ve seen Robert’s design but I don’t like it as it uses smaller fans all around.
I want to keep using my 5015 and 4010 fans.

I completely agree about avoiding universal designs. Since the Ender 3 is quite popular, I have to find people who use it with the Orbiter 2 and Phaetus Dragon hotend so I can switch from HMG6.

I really like your design. It’s simple and seems light on the X gantry. I just don’t know how easy it is to see the 1st layer from the fan ducts.
I’d probably thicken the part where CrOD logo is, just enough to do two screw holes that won’t go all the way into the duct. Then use brass inserts and that will be a nice mounting point for the ADXL.

This awkward design is to illustrate my intention :smiley:
that’s about where my 3D design skills end

Link to mix: Login | Tinkercad

Edit: After having a 2nd look, this design won’t fit my current hardware. I’m using a 4010 fan instead of 3010.

1 Like

Thank you :slight_smile: Unfortunately first layer visibility is one of the design trades that I had to make and it is not very good…

On my CR-10S Pro the overall design of the printer is so limiting in terms of maximum accelerations that the actual location of the ADXL for resonance measurements is not that critical. Having said that, I would recommend not to attach anything to the duct as it is kept in place by friction only and with a heavier weight of the ADXL it may pick up some false resonances. In my case I simply attached the accelerometer temporarily to the back of the Orbiter stepper motor and that worked really well.

Yes, indeed. In my case I researched and then sourced the hardware that I wanted to use as opposed to using the many bits and pieces that I have on-hand. In particular I tested four different 3010 fans before I picked one that worked well. The others would surge (stall the blades) due to the back pressure of the duct and the Dragon heat sink and effectively produce no flow. Despite being well rated in terms of flow vs. delta P.

I hope you find a solution that works for you. Or, as I did, roll-up your sleeves and bake one yourself from scratch. It’s a great experience.

Very nicely done - I definitely don’t have the Tinkercad (or any other design system) skills to do something like that.