Connecting Ender 3 S1 LCD display to Manta E3EZ and Klipper

Printer Model: Creality Ender 3 S1
MCU / Printerboard: BTT Manta E3EZ

Describe your issue:
Trying to connect the Creality Ender 3 S1 LCD display to the BTT Manta E3EZ Main board. The connector works fine and connects to the BTT board fine, it’s just setting it up in Klipper which i am having problems with.

I have only been using Klipper for a couple of days so i’m still getting used to it and all of the settings. I’ve been scouring the net and trying to get it working myself but i’ve finally given up and come here for some advice.

I’ve included pictures of the display. It uses an Allwinner F1C100s chip. Not sure if that is relevant. It also shows the pinout for the connections as you can see in one of the images.

Can anyone provide me with an idea of which display type i should select in Klipper? The most commonly used suggestions that i found on the internet for these displays is the st7920 display. The pinout on the back of the display shows a pin for Encoder A (A) and B (B) as well as the Encoder Switch (ENT) and the Beeper (BEEP). I can set up the pins for these ok but the only other used pins are DOUT and DIN. When i take a look at the Display Support section of the Klipper documentation for the st7920 displays they require cs_pin, sclk_pin, and sid_pin pin values to be set but i can’t match that up to the pinout on the back of the display (DIN and DOUT).

Does anyone have some suggestions for getting this working?

Thanks

NM

I just re-read your post and see I had it backwards, your LCD is DIN OUT,
Then its opposite of what I said below, so you want.

DIN to MOSI
DOUT to MISO

Explanation below

EDIT AGAIN, A & B are prob the pins for Chip Select and Clock, these could be shared by the encoder. I will Google for u, grawr, getting late :stuck_out_tongue:

Previous Reply, backwards from post

I take it that the LCD reads MISO MOSI and Board DIN DOUT?

If so then,
DIN to MISO
DOUT to MOSI

These are reversed if the LCD is DIN DOUT and board is MISO MOSI because the board is the Master/Main

MISO (Master/Main In ((LCD is NOT the Master/Main)) | Slave/Sub Out ((LCD is the slave/sub) )
MOSI (Opposite)

This says the boards OUT (DOUT) is going to the LCD which is the “Sub” Input which is Sub In. Ignore first or second 2 letters depending on which type of device.

I don’t see the Clock pin and Chip Select Pin though in what your provided

Sorry man, I’m just not finding much on it. My go to would be to scope it but I know that’s probably not helpful for you, unless u live in Michigan, I’d consider scoping it for you.

I’d say plug in the wires you know, try CS and CLK in both order but I don’t recall from memory if the SPI protocol uses the same voltage on the Clock and Select and what that chip uses. If the chip is 3.3v It may have protection against 5v+ on the lines it expects 5v, but not on lines it doesn’t expect it. Know what I mean?

A DMM would tell you this as it reads the peak of the digital signal voltage when enough of the signal is on vs. off, but again if the signal is mostly off then the DMM would think its reading a lower voltage so its not a guarantee.

AFAIK, the display of the E3S1 is not supported by Klipper directly.

There are efforts to make the display compatible with a Raspberry. You might want to check them out: GitHub - VArt67/DWIN_T5UIC1_LCD_E3S1: Python class for the Ender 3 V2 & Ender 3 S1 LCD

Thanks for your help guys.

Looks like the only way to get it working is by using that link that Sineos provided but that would mean a lot of modding of the Raspberry Pi code, or in my case the CB1. I’d rather not get too far into the weeds in my first week with Klipper.

I might just wait and see if the Klipper coders get the functionality built into it soon to run these screens. Meanwhile i have Mainsail which s fine.

Thanks again.

NM

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.