Ender 5 Pro SKR mini E3 V3 printer.cfg

Basic Information:

Printer Model: Ender 5 Pro
MCU / Printerboard: SKR mini e3 v3
Host / SBC Mainsail
klippy.log
klippy (2).zip (2.0 KB)

Fill out above information and in all cases attach your klippy.log file (use zip to compress it, if too big). Pasting your printer.cfg is not needed
Be sure to check our “Knowledge Base” Category first. Most relevant items, e.g. error messages, are covered there

Describe your issue:

…just finally moving to klipper after getting the K1 max and getting a taste of what klipper is about. I am using a raspbery PI 4B with mainsail. compiled the cfg from a mix of repository for the E5P and the skr mini, using putty i made the bin file following the info for the skr board. after everything is done i flashed the MCU and then after reset i get this message on mainsail.
Klipper reports: ERROR

Unable to open config file /home/PI/printer_data/config/printer.cfg

Once the underlying issue is corrected, use the “RESTART”
command to reload the config and restart the host software.
Printer is halted

I cannot figure out what the issue is as the cfg file is in the PI folder listed and its in the mainsail machine config files.

Please help me LOL, I know Marlin inside and out and thought klipper was supposed to be easier but i guess not for me!

Could you post your printer.cfg?

I believe the issue is that you have to add the following statement to it:

[virtual_sdcard]
path: /home/biqu/printer_data/gcodes
on_error_gcode: CANCEL_PRINT

If you don’t have the [virtual_sdcard] statement there, please add it and try to connect again.

Printer.cfg (3.0 KB)

I also added the virtual sdcard and same issue
klippy (3).log (51.8 KB)
Printer.cfg (3.1 KB)

What do you mean by “Mainsail” as your “Host”? What is the process you followed for setting up the rPi 4B?

I’m not sure what you mean by saying you “compiled the cfg from a mix…” can you explain?

mainsail is the rasberry PI software for klipper that i used. because my printer is far from stock i used the info from the skr mini e3 v3 cfg and changed the specs based on the ender 5 pro and any mods that have been made ie hotend, thermistors, ect.

So you used the “Mainsail OS” available from the Raspberry Pi Imager:

What was the process you followed from there?

installed mainsail, logged in to my PI and used putty to create the bin file for firmware, used core ftp to access the klipper.bin file then loaded to my formatted fat32 sd card. installed in the ender 5 MCU with screen unplugged turned on for the flash. then since its been this issue. i have tried reflshing with the same issue. also tried reloading the PI and same.

What does “installed mainsail” mean?

are you being serious?

Yes. “installed Mainsail” is meaningless.

I’ve asked three times now how you set up your Raspberry Pi so I can get an idea of what’s happening here.

Please explain the steps you’ve gone through to set up the Raspberry Pi followed with how you build the firmware you loaded into the Ender 5 controller board.

1 Like

Go to pi manager, choose mainsail choose sd card press Starr? Its literally 3 buttons? Used putty do build the firmware. Chose the correct board and all usb like the cfg says

Let’s start with what happened with the Raspberry Pi Imager.

1. Did you specify a URL name along with a login ID?
  2. Are you using an Ethernet connection or WiFi?
  3. Do you have a Mainsail web page come up?
  4. Have you done any updating of Klipper? (You will have gotten this option if you accessed the Mainsail web page - and you should have run the update.)

How did you create the firmware? Could you provide me with the configuration information that you selected?

yes i set URL to name of printer.local
its over wifi
mainsail comes up and logs in fine but i get the above error message
i did all the updates on the mainsail page.
Screenshot 2024-04-30 081215

Two things.

1. Could you shut down your rPi 4B, remove the SD Card and then image a new one with just the Raspberry Pi OS Lite (64-bit):

Once you’ve done that, go through the KIAUH process listed here:
    GitHub - dw-0/kiauh: Klipper Installation And Update Helper
    When you do the install, load Klipper, Moonraker and Mainsail - IN THAT ORDER. Check to see that you can access the Mainsail web page
    The reason for suggesting this is because I have had problems with the Mainsail OS build in the past and KIAUH provides a cleaner install.

2. Rebuild your SKR Min E3 Klipper Flash image according to:
    BIGTREETECH-SKR-mini-E3/firmware/V3.0/Klipper at master · bigtreetech/BIGTREETECH-SKR-mini-E3 · GitHub
    You’ll see that you’re missing the “Enable extra low-level configuration options” parameter:

i will give it a try, I did not enable the extra low level because it was not on the cfg from klippers page but ill try this one

not up and running completely yet but i found the issue. the printer.cfg was named “Printer.cfg” with the capital which the mainsail console wouldnt read

few more tweaks to the cfg file for z probing and its working

1 Like