Ender3 v2 4.2.2 no usb id

Basic Information:

Printer Model: Ender3 v2
MCU / Printerboard:4.2.2
klippy (2).log (27.8 KB)

Long of the short is Ive spent the better part of the last hour trying different configs and reading the forum trying to find a answer to my issue.

I can see my printer being plugged in and unplugged. I get no serial connection in the dev, i get no usbtty0 in the dev. Im mildly confused as I followed everything to the T. I thought this was gonna be a bing bang boom ordeal. Someone help a guy out here?

If you had, the correct output to show would have been ls /dev/serial/by-id/*

I did that and it tells me it’s not available. I can get a screenshot of that tonight. I cannot show anything under /dev/serial/****** because serial does not exist. I started over from 0 several times and I even went back to factory firmware and moved forward from there every time.

The board not showing up as /dev/... typically is:

• Not correctly flashed
  • USB / wiring issue

these are the config settings, pulled from pi with win scp, moved that to sd and inserted into ender 3. as stated screen would no longer work which it does not. and upon running the /dev/ command serial is not an option although the klipper registers me unplugging and plugging the cable back in. I tried multiple cables.

I flashed back to factory and the machine works as is and tried reflashing klipper with the same result as before.

im only allowed to post one image per post

edit::: I would also like to follow up with this machine was using octoprint and the same cable 0 issues for the previous month or so.

How do you flash the board?
Post the output of sudo dmesg after connecting the board

But please: Copy and paste the output, using the code formatting grafik instead of these screenshots

apparently after some further digging i believe the board isnt flashing properly. Ive flashed back to the marlin and keep trying to flash klipper, going back to the factory firmware every time.

I used the make menuconfig, ran the make command, pulled the klipper.bin using winscp and put it on the sd card and inserted it into my ender3V2. upon powering up the screen ceases to work which kind of signifies my flash is working but the pi never ever connects to the printer.

<[ 3508.957366] usb 1-1.1: Product: USB Serial
[ 3529.455156] hwmon hwmon1: Voltage normalised
[ 5524.063065] usb 1-1.1: USB disconnect, device number 7
[ 5770.076815] usb 1-1.1: new full-speed USB device number 8 using xhci_hcd
[ 5770.186908] usb 1-1.1: New USB device found, idVendor=1a86, idProduct=7523, b cdDevice= 2.64
[ 5770.186940] usb 1-1.1: New USB device strings: Mfr=0, Product=2, SerialNumber=0>

disregard the voltage message

# The firmware
# filename must end in ".bin" and must not match the last filename
# that was flashed.

I’m sure you have read and followed this, right?

Yes, i did read that. Clearly Im doing something wildly wrong because I just tried the skr mini v3.0 board using the supplied klipper bin for that and I get the same exact message. I simply dont understand what I’m doing wrong. I read the install from klipper, i read the install from mainsail, I followed several videos on youtube, I read dozens of threads. I get the same thing. I can see the mcu when i do a sudo dmesg, but when i do a ls /dev/serial/by-id/ i get a no such file or directory found.

Disconnect the board, then reconnect. Copy and paste the entire sudo dmesg output somewhere, e.g on pastebin

The USB serial connection path goes in the Printer.cfg file.MCU:

You have to replace the MCU definition with the MCU ID from the……serial/path-by-I’d command from install section. I found that out the hard way after two weeks of testing and error

Sorry for not responding, been extremely busy. So out of frustration one evening I walked away leaving it plugged in and on. Upon returning the next day with 0 changes made I could ls /dev/serial/by-id/* and actually received a response that I could paste in the printer.cfg mcu file. Apparently 30 minutes wasnt enough time to wait and it needed longer. Since forth Ive flashed 3 other printers I own and have not had any issues. I was just starting with the ender 3 because it was unmodded and working fine so i figured it would be easier to troubleshoot. Thank you sineos for all your help.

one other thing I found out I may have not been doing was a sudo apt-get update followed by the upgrade command and a reboot. That instantly fixed the issue I was having with the latest build

1 Like