Endstop setup failed on Sidewinder X1 on Duet 3 mini 5+

‘’ Hi all,

Following several failures of the extruder driver on my SKR 1.4 Turbo, I decided to replace the motherboard with a duet 3 mini 5+. I’ve been running the Duet 3 Mini on my Ender 5+ for some time with no major issue so thought it would be ok to use the same board on the X1.

Is any one around here using the Duet 3 Mini on a Sidewinder X1?

I’ve finshed the cabling of the board and have installed Klipper, everything seems ok except for the end stops, I’m struggling to get them to trigger correctly.

Not sure if it’s cabling related or config related in the printer.cfg file as I had Klipper running the printer previously wit the SKR 1.4

I’ve set IO1, IOI5 and IO6 for the end stops.

If any one using this config could help advise what I"ve done wrong it would be greatly appreciated.

Log file attached and I can also share the printer.cfg file if necesary

Thanks in advance

logs-20231126-222032.zip (525.8 KB)

Ok, I think that I’ve found my issue to be the use that the use of IO5 and IO6 as they don’t have 5V but 3.3V, will change that tomorrow and see if that was my issue.

Ok, so I’ve change the cabling, but still unable to get the end stop to trigger properly.

My understanding is that the wires are as follow, brown=5V, blue=Gnd and black=signal, is this not correct?

So based on this and the Duet3 mini wiring schema, I’ve plugged both of the gray cables on IO2 and IO4 using the 5V_EXT(brown cable) , the GND(blue cable) and IO2_IN (black cable ) for Y and 5V_EXT(brown cable) , the GND(blue cable) and IO4_IN (black cable ) and in the printer.cfg I’m targeting the correct pin but the end stops don’t show up in the correct state, am I missing something?

Most 3-wire endstop switches have a LED on board.
Does it lit when you press the switch?

BTW: 3100++ lines of config.
Do your really need all that stuff?

Are you sure these apply to the pins given in [stepper_x] and [stepper_y]?

Are you sure any of the massive amount of macros do influence the proper function of the endstops?

Rule of thumb: If you start with a new board, always start simple and extend step by step.

1 Like

Hi @EddyMI3D ,

Thanks for your response, I never noticed those end-stops had led on them. following your advise I checked, all wiring was ok except for X so took the time to redo the wiring tested before closing and it worked ( I did not test the home all, only X and Y and they worked, I swapped IO5 and IO6 with IO2 and IO4). Closed the printed retried and got a new error:

TMC ‘stepper_z’ reports error: DRV_STATUS: 000b0008 s2gb=1(ShortToGND_B!) cs_actual=11
Once the underlying issue is corrected, use the
“FIRMWARE_RESTART” command to reset the firmware, reload the
config, and restart the host software.
Printer is shutdown.

Reopened the printer to check the wiring on Z with a multimeter and all looked fine so I’m a bit surprised and confused so decided to redo the wiring just in case, retested with the multimeter and all seems fine so not sure if this is config related or wiring, note that prior to my previous post, I got movement working ok but not the endstops.

As I can see the leds lighting up when I touch the X and Y endstops with something so I’m certain that they’re working.

Also I’m a bit surprised to see stealthchop_threshold = 999999 at the beginning in the logs as in printer.cfg I have it set to 0 for Z and Z1 but furhter down in the log file I see them set to 0 as on the printer.cfg file

Now that being said following all that, I’m also facing a new issue that I didn’t had before, the extruder is no longer heating up, when I set a temperature it shorts out and restarts, so decided to unplug everything and check each wire and plug them one by one back to the duet, still the same thing, I set a temp for the extruder and it shorts out and restart, please note that both the extruder and the bed both worked previously, I was the 1st thing I wired and tested and did a pid tuning of both before moving to the wiring of the other elements and the bed is heating properly so I don’t understand why this is happening now.

After checking the klippy.log today I now see what you meant when you mentioned 3100+ lines of config, when my printer.cfg is only 460+ lines, this must be due to the klipper macro inclusion so I’ll need to do some cleanup for sure as I have macros in the printer.cfg file as well which are generally the ones I use.

I’ve attached both my latest logs and the printer.cfg file

config-20231204-201705.zip (4.7 KB)
logs-20231204-195726.zip (973.0 KB)
logs-20231204-200751.zip (19.8 KB)

Hi all,

Just reporting back on this issue as didn’t really took time to deal with the printer durning the holidays, got some time yesterday and managed to find ou the root cause for my different issues.

The homing for X and Y is sorted, so is the issue with the extruder not heating, this was due to and issue with the ribbon cable, had to replace it.

I still have on last issue with the BL Touch not deploying, so will be looking into that in the next couple of days to get it sorted.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.