Klipper with closed loop steppers

Hello everyone,

I entertain the idea of using klipper with closed loop axis control. I did a little research, but I ended up a little confused. In my understanding it should not be a problem to use closed-loop drivers instead of open-loop drivers. I dont see that Klipper would even have to know about that. Is there anything I am missing?

Has anyone implemented a closed-loop setup? I am using NEMA23 steppers on my bigger machine.

During my research I read about salmon skin effects on closedloop setups. Can this be avoided with currently available systems?

Thanks in advance!

See Mechaduino experiment

I think this is mainly a question of the quality of the closed loop system. I am myself considering a similar move, but I would prefer actual servos (JMC has some affordable even in NEMA 17 form factor). Such systems are often used in CNC milling machines which have a higher requirement for the accuracy compared to 3D printers. While milling a metal surface, any unwanted movement will always create visible artefacts, even if it is only 1/100mm. Of course one important point is how much the angular error of the motor translates into a linear error on the axis: A CNC milling machine usually uses ball screws where you need to turn the motor more for the same linear movement compared to belt drives. (My machine is a combined 3D printer and CNC mill, and I have ball screws but with a relative high pitch…)

Not having dug too deep into this topic but as far as my understanding goes there are two philosophies:

Mechaduino approach as per above link:

• Klipper runs on the dedicated stepper MCU board
  • Klipper manages PID, open / closed loop etc.
  • Only roughly developed and not fit for daily use

STEP / DIR approach

• Toolboard runs own firmware
  • Klipper and toolboard does not know each other nor do they interact
  • Klipper only provides STEP and DIR signals, which are processed by the toolboard
  • Toolboard is responsible for controlling the stepper motor, microstepping etc.

I cannot comment on either as I have no experience with.

I’m running MKS S42C for the x and y of a CoreXY. They are defined as A4988 and get the step and dir from the printers mainboard a BTT GTR. Works absolutely fine.

2 Likes