Metadata in config sections

Both Fluidd and Mainsail currently use the gcode_macro variables to allow users to set and pass metadata to them.

Take for example how mainsail-config and fluidd-config set the user defaults.

Another example, in Fluidd one can add variable_ignore_min_extrude_temp: True to the LOAD_FILAMENT, UNLOAD_FILAMENT, M701, and M702 macros to ignore the extruder temperature.

This is obviously a hack, so I would like to propose an alternative that could even be used across every section and not just the gcode_macro sections!

Option 1: single ā€œmetaā€ attribute:

Allow for a single meta attribute, so users can pass whatever they want inside and it will be considered as pure text.

Example:

[mcu]
serial: /tmp/pseudoserial
restart_method: Arduino
meta
    test: 1

[virtual_pins]
meta:
    whatever

The value is not used anywhere on Klipper and s only exposed on the configfile status object:

Option 2: ā€œmeta_ā€ prefixed attributes:

Allow for meta_ prefixed attributes, so users can pass whatever they want inside and it will be considered as pure text.

Example:

[mcu]
serial: /tmp/pseudoserial
restart_method: arduino
meta_test: 1

[virtual_pins]
meta_other: whatever

The value is not used anywhere on Klipper and s only exposed on the configfile status object:

My personal opinion goes that option 2 is preferred!

Both solutions are really easy to implement with a single change on check_unused_options method on Klipperā€™s configfile.py

Iā€™ve now opened a Pull Request with Option 2 implemented if anyone wants to try and provide feedback:

Interesting.

I certainly donā€™t see an issue with extending the config file to add useful features for the frontends.

For what it is worth though, Iā€™d much prefer to understand a concrete ā€œuse caseā€ for the support. The description above doesnā€™t give me a good feeling for the intended functionality this change would provide (at least initially).

Iā€™m generally leery about adding new config items, for fear that it makes the config more complex. Iā€™m also leery about adding ā€œit can do anythingā€ config items as I fear that is a disservice to users that ultimately need to configure them to accomplish specific results.

Cheers,
-Kevin

2 Likes

Yes, a concrete description of a use case that variables are not usable for would be nice.

You describe the use of variables as ā€œa hackā€, but the first examples you provided donā€™t really fit that description. These are user-settable variables that influence the behaviour of Klipper macros, which is more or less the core functionality of variables. Calling them ā€œmetaā€ variables and slightly modifying how theyā€™re accessed would not fundamentally change anything about them, just introduce confusion as to why there are now two different variable systems.

ignore_min_extrude_temp is maybe a little hackier because itā€™s never used by a macro and is purely an annotation used by an external tool, but it still seems like a very reasonable thing to do.