Move out of range vertically

Basic Information:

Printer Model: FLSun SuperRacer <== a delta printer
MCU / Printerboard: FLSun Speeder pad <== built-in Klipper controller
klippy.log

Fill out above information and in all cases attach your klippy.log file. Pasting your printer.cfg is not needed

Describe your issue:

I got the error message “Move out of range: 80.629 23.856 294.964 [205792.025]” when my printer started printing the last layer of an STL file that is 294.3 mm high. I could find nothing in the printer.cfg file that defines an upper limit to print height. The position_endstop settings for all 3 axes are in the 333.xxx range, so that is not the problem. There is nothing in the Klipper documentation about this error, and the only online postings I’ve found that match it are from people who’s printers tried to go below Z=0. So how can I resolve this problem?

Hello @Birk !

Can you please share the klippy.log?
Preferably in the next post and if too large you can zip it.

I didn’t know how to access the log because I’ve been a Klipper user for about 4 days. But I figured it out.

klippy-1.log (3.4 MB)

Does the log just keep getting bigger with every print? Or does it start over with each print. If it’s the latter there won’t be anything useful because I’ve completed several prints since the one with the Out oof range problem.

Does this error also appear when you move the printhead up manually?

No. I have done quite a few G28’s with no problem. I’ve also done the delta calibration successfully.

It seems to me there must be some “vertical limit” value somewhere inside some Klipper subroutine that is responsible for insuring printers don’t drive their hotend past an upper limit. Of course this is only a guess, and of course, even if my guess is correct, I have no idea how to find this value and change it to something appropriate for my printer. But I’m hoping someone, somewhere, knows how to do these things.

The top of a delta print area is conical. It’s possible your print didn’t remain within that conical area and caused an out of range error.

Yes, I agree with that assessment - truth is I hadn’t thought of that. But my print was some 40 mm away from the max height. I’ve seen diagrams of the top of a delta printer’s printable volume, and it is a fairly flat shape. It seems to me that that last layer should have been printable.

What I’ll do to verify this is see if I can manually move the end effector to a position near where that top layer would be. I’ll post my results here soon.

OK - here’s what I did:

1. Home end effector. Z=332.48
  2. Move down to Z=295.08
  3. Move X=0, Y=24, Z=295.08

That worked, but when I tried to move to X=81 I got the same error message saying “Move out of range” if I tried moving X beyond 11.22. So your analysis is correct - congratulations. I have learned something new. :grinning: Thanks for that. I’ll close this issue.

1 Like