Multiple PID values for different target temperatures

This doesn’t seem to have been asked before, but I was wondering if anybody had considered calculating/storing multiple PID values for different temperatures/ranges?

Right now, I am tending to bounce around between different filament materials and this results in some obviously sub-optimal heating arrangements when I end up at different extremes. Just to be clear, I don’t see any potentially problematic situations, just ones that the heater could come up faster or would have smaller overshoots which result in it taking longer to start printing until the temperature gets within a degree Celsius of the target.

I was wondering if anybody had looked at this issue and saw any value in being able to store multiple PID values for different target temperatures. I would think that ranges of 20C or so would be appropriate.

1 Like

The simple way is to save different PIDs for different temp in printer.cfg and uncomment only the desire PID values.

I wouldn’t call that simple, though I think it’s the only practical way to do it at the moment, as I don’t think there’s currently a way to specify or override PID values at runtime. I wish there were though.

I think it would be pretty easy to make this happen. I actually wanted to look into this after my pid tuning and control tweaks PR was accepted or denied!

1 Like

Sounds good - let me know if I can help!

do you have a bit of code hosted for this? I am having trouble printing with a high bed temp and think it may be related to a lower temp PID

here you go.