"multistep_filt" added in a recent commit makes my TMC5160 skip steps

TL;DR; The change introduced by commit dd39091 that enables multistep_filt for TMC5160 totally destroys my prints with all drivers skipping steps.

Few days ago decided to update my Klipper install using the Mainsail UI.
Without any other change noticed the printer sounding quite bad when moving as well as all the prints had lots of skipped steps on X and Y axis.
Noticeable at higher speeds, on first layer is ok but as soon as it goes to the normal printing speeds is easily noticeable from the sound and resulting prints.

Long story short, suspected it was from the FW and with some troubleshooting found the culprit code change.

After setting my local klipper head to a commit prior to that one, prints were again good.

I’m running klipper on a cartesian printer with a SKR3 v1.3 controller and TMC5160 drivers.
Settings for the drivers are like this.

interpolate: True
run_current: 0.16
hold_current: 0.16
sense_resistor: 0.075
stealtchop_threshold: 5000
driver_PWM_GRAD: 10
driver_SGT: 3

The register that controls this new setting is under GCONF and I did not find a way to set it from the config. (I guess I can patch my TMC5160.py file but would be better using a config option)

I’d have created an issue for this, but is no longer available in GitHub so posting it here.
Move this to a more appropriate case if that is the case.
Thanks

There is a discussion about this on GitHub.

wt… I spend lots looking for missed steps, skipped steps… did I searched for multistep_filt. I did not.
Thanks

No worries, there is no harm discussing this here too.
However that PR is waiting for user reports confirming the bug and the fix. You might be able to help by providing the info asked for in the last update by Kevin on that PR.

Yeah. I was looking for a param to disable the setting and that PR adds exactly that.
No wonder I did not found it.

Either way, repo reset to HEAD, patched with PR, driver feature disabled and is printing perfectly.