Out of range error -- no BLTouch

Basic Information:

Printer Model: Kingroon KP3s
MCU / Printerboard: Kingroon (GD32F303)
klippy.log
klippy.log (1.3 MB)

I’m attempting to print with a new installation but I keep getting an “Move out of range: -98.000 0.000 0.400 [3.000]”. I can’t decipher that code. I am not using a bed leveling sensor (yet), and I’m guessing that this error is because Klipper thinks I am. My printer.cfg file included sensor settings which I’ve tried to edit out. Here’s what my z axis looks like now:
[stepper_z]
step_pin: PB5
dir_pin: !PB4
enable_pin: !PB8
full_steps_per_rotation: 200
microsteps: 32
rotation_distance: 8
endstop_pin: !PA11 # disable to use BLTouch

endstop_pin: probe:z_virtual_endstop # enable to use BLTouch

position_endstop: 0 # disable to use BLTouch
position_max: 190
homing_retract_dist: 10.0
second_homing_speed: 5

position_min: -5 # enable to use BLTouch

Any help much appreciated! This Klipper thing is not easy for me.

Fill out above information and in all cases attach your klippy.log file. Pasting your printer.cfg is not needed

Describe your issue:

Do you have a common endstop sensor/switch or a probe different than a BLtouch?

When does the error occur?

During G28 or when you want to print?

I took a quick look at the log, and there are 2 problems that stood out to me. Even though you don’t have a BLTouch (and I assume any other probe), you have

endstop_pin = probe:z_virtual_endstop

defined. If you have an endstop switch on the Z axis, you need to assign an actual pin. However, that’s not what is causing the error you are getting.

Move out of range: -98.000 0.000 0.400 [3.000]

Means that it is trying to move to -98mm on the X-axis. You don’t have a position_min defined in the [stepper_x] section of your config file, and so it assumes the minimum that the X can move to is zero. Since -98 is less than zero, it correctly fails because the move is out of range.

I suspect that you are getting that error is because you have your slicer configured such that 0,0 is in the centre of the bed, rather than the front left corner, that would be the first thing I would check

Thanks so much! Messing about with that info I’ve got it printing – although not in the center of the bed, but I suspect I can sort that out. HOWEVER, it now gets part way through the print, stops and throws a “Move exceeds maximum extrusion (0.880mm^2 vs 0.640mm^2)” error. I can’t find a setting for that in the extruder section of the printer.cfg. What to do???

Try putting these two lines in the [extruder] section of your config file

max_extrude_only_distance: 150.0
max_extrude_cross_section: 100

Those numbers are probably too large, but it will prevent that error from accuring

A brand new out of range problem! I’ve got it printing, right up to 99% complete, at which point the head lifts and jumps to the max x/y position (180,180), the print cancels and the “Move out of range: 0.000 200.000 10.000 [371.950]” error is generated. I can’t make heads nor tails of this. I’m so close!!! I’ve attached both the log and my printer.cfg here.
klippy.log (5.2 MB)
printconfig.txt (6.9 KB)

I had a look through the log, and it all looks to be in order. When the print is finished, the END_PRINT macro calls the _TOOLHEAD_PARK_PAUSE_CANCEL macro which will lift the head and then move to x=175, y=175. After that, something is commanding the printer to move to x=0, y=200, but that command is not in your config file, so I would suggest that there is something in your slicers END GCODE section that is doing it. Ideally, the END_GCODE section of the slicer should only call the END_PRINT macro and nothing else, so if there is anything else in there then check it out, and if you don’t understand it, then post it here.

BTW, you don’t need to post your printer config file as it is included in the log file

Please do not share such advice. In 99.99% this is not needed for a standard setup. If such errors occur, then there is a reason for it that may be causing other issues as consequence.
Setting this will only mask the actual problem. Also see [H] Move exceeds maximum extrusion - #2 by Sineos

As you wish. Jrobbo - out

I’m getting a similar error, and have tried increasing and decreasing bed mess values. I’m stumped and would really appreciate some help so I can get back to printing.

Error “Move out of range: 346.300 11.000 5.000 [0.000]”
klippy (2).log (2.2 MB)

Your X max is 322, your Bltouch X offset is -24.3 and your mesh max for X is 322. Mesh points are relative to the nozzle so 322+24.3=346.3. The closest you can probe to the edge of the bed is 322-24.3=297.7.

1 Like

Thank you for the quick response. Going to try it now

that adjustment fixed my issue. You ROCK!!! and a big Thank You