Overheating hotend after PID tune

I’m having problems with my hotend overheating. Every 5 tries or so a print will work but usually I get something like the picture. I have ran PID tuning multiple times. The printer is a Sidewinder X1. I’ve recently changed the extruder to a bondtech clone and an e3d V6. I’m using the thermistor that came with the bondtech but using a new heat cartridge meant for the stock X1.

printer.cfg (6.0 KB)

I also had a PID problem with my sidewinder X1. I dont know why but klipper just cant get the PID values right.

Thankfully I saved the old PID values from Marlin and they worked well.

I wonder what the problem is. I also have a different heater cartridge and thermistor than came with the ASX1.

Dot know if you are still having the problem, but maybe try install Marlin for the PID tune then go back to klipper or you can try my values.

## [heater_bed]
#
# control = pid
## pid_kp = 37.258
#
# pid_ki = 0.702
## pid_kd = 494.598
#
#
## [extruder]
#
# control = pid
## pid_kp = 20.376
#
# pid_ki = 0.888
#*# pid_kd = 116.907

There is also a lengthy discussion about this here:

Ahh, thank you… Ill have a read.

Just a synopsis for anyone looking here…

Setting smooth time in the heater section to 10 (default 1 ) fixed the issue for many Sidewinder owners.

“smooth time 10 for both bed and extruder fixed it for me as well
+/-1C variation now, amazing!”

"We are trying to fix a hardware problem with software here.

The board has a very noisy 5v rail that is creating the sensor noise and making pid tuning difficult

If you add a low esr capacitor to the 5v rail it will smooth out the temperature measurements and everything will work with stock smoothing settings"

1 Like

I had the same issue with the extruder and bed on my Artillery Genius 1, smooth time 10 did not bring any solution.
The temperature for the extruder and bed was randomly jumping +/- 3°. PID tuning was delivering random results (each run different)
I found this article with HW fix which I implemented:
MKS Gen L V1.0 (not original): Fixing instability problems in the Hotend

after PID tuning both heaters I am getting the following result even without smooth time: