Printing on the Same Line Height/Z-Axis Issues

@Sineos ,

Yes sir. Thank you. I just tried to set it to 8 for rotation_distance. I then altered the rotation_distance of the extruder, PROBE_CALIBRATE, and things are good.

Seth

@Sineos ,

I ran across another issue w/ my set up. It seems that after the initial base layers get printed just fine after the calibrations, the Z-Axis does not rise to perform the initial infill on top of the base layers.

What would be the major issue you see for an idea like this one?

I thought it would have been the Extruder calibration or the Z-Axis calibration w/ the PROBE_CALIBRATE steps.

I am at a loss now. I thought I figured it out…

Seth

P.S. The infill of 40% prints on the same layer as the base layers w/ 100% layering.

Can you post the gcode file you want to print as a zipped file in your next post?

1 Like

Please do me a favor: Take a caliper and measure if your Z really moves 10mm when you command it to move 10mm. PLEASE!

1 Like

@Sineos ,

I typed G28 and then G0 Z25 or G0 Z10. It does not travel that distance…either distance.

I typed G28 and G0 Z50 but it only moves about 20mm.

Seth

Then apparently your rotation_distance is still not correct. So, again PLEASE follow the instructions I have already given here:

And measuring means measuring, not guessing, not approximately, not roughly, nor could be.

2 Likes

Here is the gcode file @EddyMI3D .

I know usually it is first come, first serve. I should have gotten back to you first. Please excuse me.

Seth

P.S. Oh! The file:
CFFFP_electronics_plate.gcode (2.1 MB)

Should I have done it differently? Like this?
CFFFP_electronics_plate - Copy.zip (687.3 KB)

Sorry.

Thread	rotation_distance
M8	               2
M8	               1.25
5/16	               1.41111
ACME TR8	2
ACME TR4	4
ACME TR2	8

Table above are the most common lead-screws. I suggest following procedure:

1. Measure the distance between your X gantry and the top of your bed
2. Command the gantry to move up 20 mm
3. Measure again and do <second measurement> - <first measurement>
4. Calculate

rotation_distance = <current_rot_dis> * <result No. 3> / <20>

Compare to the table above and see if you come close

Okay @Sineos , I will attempt this idea and set of instructions. I did not mean to put this to the side. I accidentally missed it by scrolling and not paying too much attention. I am sorry. I know this is getting out of hand. Again, my fault. Off to test!

From the tip of the hotend or the actual gantry construction?

Seth

P.S. I will just measure both and return service.

Wherever you can reliably measure (Caliper even better Dial-Gauge) how many millimeters your Z-Axis is moving.

• For every measurement the same position
  • Perpendicular to the bed or frame
  • Precise
1 Like

I got 2.

Seth

P.S. I meaured 65mm from the gantry and not the hotend (sorry), commanded 20mm and got 5mm at 70mm. I then multiplied 8 * 5 and then divided 20 which equals 2. Anyway, I will try this rotation_distance of 2 again. Who knows? I may find some effort from my oddly sort of a printer.

To be clear:

70 - 65 = 5
8 * 5 = 40
40 / 20 = 2

Then put 2 and measure again. 2 is a good value, since it is a common lead-screw value. If your measurement agrees, then try a print.

Off to bed now GN8.

1 Like

@Sineos ,

Thank you sir. Off to try a little later. I have to run.

Seth

And don’t call me sir. Makes me feel even older than I am :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

@Sineos ,

You got it, compadre.

Seth

P.S. I am working diligently on the first print. I should try a cube first w/ lax infill but it is all glory and some story!

@EddyMI3D ,

Hello…did you ever get to look over the print/.zip file for use that I am trying to print?

If you have had time to look it over, what ideas or facts do you hold that I can benefit from currently for this print?

Seth

P.S. If you get a chance in the next couple of days or weeks, please try to make time to reply. I just reprinted the same two layers over and over w/out success. I am not quite a PRO w/ Klipper (as everyone can tell). Anyway, thank you for any insight you can give…

Okay,

We can retire this post now. I would like to say, “Thank you.” I appreciate the patience you had w/ me regarding my lack of more in depth reading on this issue…

Although I am still a newcomer to the scene of 3D Printing, circa '14, I would like to reach out more often…

Hopefully, I get the commands correctly done in the future and listen a bit better.

Seth

P.S. Look at my too close for comfort print:

1 Like

Just came back from work.

On the first glance, the file looks ok.

Sometimes false slicer settings can be spotted. But as I said: This one seems to be ok.

1 Like

@EddyMI3D ,

Thank you for taking time out to look over the print I have currently. Anyway…

1. Get the PROBE_CALIBRATE done correctly. Okay.
  2. Make sure the machine profile and .cfg file are in the same ballpark. Okay.
    a. This was my issue. I just saw it today.
    b. The machine profile had 200 mm while my cfg file had 152 mm. Blah.

Seth

P.S. Anyway, the machine, due to this common issue, kicked my part off on the last layer. Ha. I have been building this quadruped since Sept. of 2022. This last piece needed outsourcing or a larger bed to handle the print. Of course, I went w/ building from almost scratch to get a larger build volume.

Thank you guys for keeping open and steadily making improvements!

Update

I finally finished the last print and quadruped is done for now. Thank you to everyone who pitched in when I knew nothing:

Although the printing on my part could have been better, that is it for now!