QUAD_GANTRY_LEVEL aborts with extremely high adjust values

Hello together,

I have a problem with the QGL. Every time, I assign the coordinates correctly to the right stepper, I get the following error:

Aborting quad_gantry_level required adjustment
69202213752810699294244864.000000 is greater than max_adjust 4.000000

This error occures regardless if and what value is set for max_adjust in [QUAD_GANTRY_LEVEL] in printer.cfg

If I assign the coordinates in a wrong order, the macro is running, until I have to stop it, because the bed is too crooked. On an other try I got the error that the motor order mabe is not correct, which in deed is.
At least it works like it should. It measures, sets the new values, measures again.

Klippy.log is attached for both cases. I would be thankful if anyone can help me out with this.

I use a BTT Octopus with Klipper on adroid and fluidd

not working with correct coordinates - klippy.log (117.9 KB)
working with wrong coordiantes - klippy.log (203.3 KB)

Kind regards
JOSh

Josh,
I had a similar issue and the root-cause was hardware related. I didn’t have the grub screws torqued down enough on the coupler between the stepper and lead-screw on one stepper, so that corner was bouncing around.

Hope this helps

• James

Hi James,
Sadly this can’t be the problem.
1st I tightened them well and checked it now again.
2nd I can reproduce the error. I switched the connectors from the motors to different ports, assigned the new coordinates and the error happened again. Only the values of the message increased.
After that assigned the coordinates randomly. The macro then runs like I described earlier with the effect, that the bed now gets crooked on an other side.

Kind regards
JOSh

Edit: if someone needs a video of this, just ask.

Have you assigned the motors properly to the corners and in the config?

https://www.klipper3d.org/Config_Reference.html#quad_gantry_level

Hey Eddy
Yes, that’s the reason of my issue. If I don’t do so, it works. Otherwise it won’t.

What is different when it works?

It just works. I only have to stop it because the bed is too crooked. One or two times it stopped by itself like I described in the start post.

Edit: you can see the difference in klippy.log as well. Just scroll a view lines top wards.

Edit 2: if it works the printer measures every point 3-4 times. If it don’t every corner will be measured only once and then the error occurs

Referring to this:

----------------
 |Z1          Z2|
 |  ---------   |
 |  |       |   |
 |  |       |   |
 |  x--------   |
 |Z           Z3|
 ----------------

have you tried:

points = 25, 25

Provided the motors are connected accordingly.

#points:
#   A newline separated list of four X, Y points that should be probed
#   during a QUAD_GANTRY_LEVEL command. Order of the locations is
#   important, and should correspond to Z, Z1, Z2, and Z3 location in
#   order. This parameter must be provided. For maximum accuracy,
#   ensure your probe offsets are configured.

BTW: According the quoted section from the Klipper configuration reference, both or your configs are wrong:

Not working: Z1, Z2, Z3, Z
Working: Z2. Z1 Z, Z3

BTW: You can check the proper connection of the motors with:

https://www.klipper3d.org/Config_checks.html#verify-stepper-motors

Good morning,
Thanks in advance, I’ll wire up everything from scratch and check the points as well when I’m home from work.

I taught the wiring for “not working” was right, but possibly I’m wrong.
What I didn’t noticed until now is, in the Diagramm for the motors, the “x” in the bottom left.
I tested all steppers with stepper_buzz because of the direction of movement but maybe this is the reason.
Keep you updated ASAP.

JOSh

The “x” is the homing position.

If you have your homing position on the upper right, you have to rotate all by180° or otherwise accordingly.

1 Like

Hey Eddy,

i can´t say how stupid i feel. This was my mistake. I didn´t understand that the “x” is the homing position. Acording to this, i arranged my motors wrong. At least i, how ever, got my points correct. I now rewired the cables and it´s working from the first try.
Many many thanks for your help! Hopefully no one makes this mistake and if, that he find this post.

Kind regards

JOSh

2 Likes

Hi

Sorry to respond to an old post.

I have just completed my first build and I am experiencing this exact issue, I have read this thread and tried what is said but to no avail! Its clearly something I’m doing wrong but just cant get my head around it. If someone could explain further that would be great, like what is “x” homing position and where it is in relation the the front of the printer and are the images top down views. I have confirmed all stepper positions and all check out so not sure where I have gone wrong.

Thanks

Nathan

Good evening,

When I’m at the front of my printer, the homing position is in the back right corner. The pictures are in deed top down. So there for the positioning of the motors are like this: Back right = Z, front right = Z1, front left =Z2 and back left = Z3.
Imagine a 150x150 build plate and the screws are in the very corner the points are
1, 1
1, 150
150, 150
150, 1

To make things clear, homing position means the points where your X an Y Endstops are. These could be in any corner and the homing itself needs no order which one homes first.
If you have problems with alining the motors, just draw the picture feom post 8 and put it on your printbed. Rotate the X to your homing position and you should be good to go.

Hopefully this helps, if not, don’t hesitate to ask.

Kind regards

JOSh

Ps: if you need, I could make a video from my homing and leveling sequence.

Hi JOSh

Thanks for your quick response.

Ill get on and change the motor order, a video would be great and a screenshot of your printer.cfg of these settings would be amazing if you wouldn’t mind.

Thanks

Nathan

Hey Nathan,

here is the link to the video.

See the description for settings of printer.cfg. I commented everything so hopefully this makes sense to you.

Kind regards
JOSh

Hi JOSh

Thanks for that, sorry not responded sooner.

Tried all that and still didn’t work when I realised my x and y axis were switched so effectively mirrored and so were my end stop connections but haven’t had chance to try the gantry level since sorting that as I accidentally wiped my printer.cfg and need to completely redo it, so I’ll update when I’ve had chance to redo the cfg.
Thanks again for your help.

Regards

Nathan

1 Like