Random bed crash with bltouch

Hi

usually everything is working fine. But sometime I get a hed crash using bltouch but only if the printer was turned off and I home for the first time. After that, it doesnt happen again… but if I use the printer again after a few days, I can never be sure :frowning:

Printer is Artillery Genius MKS GEN L 1.0 stock board, genuine BLtouch (I guess V3.1),

I found some stuff online regarding klipper issues witrh bltouch, but they are all old (2018)

Here is my bltouch config
[bltouch]
sensor_pin: ar19
control_pin: ar11
x_offset:28
y_offset:-33
speed:20
samples:2
samples_result:average
set_output_mode: 5V
probe_with_touch_mode: true
stow_on_each_sample: false

I just posted this on the Discord server:

"One thing I learned after installing BL Touch on my original (v1) Cr-10S Pro is that it is rather sensitive to EMI (electro-magnetic interference) and it will behave in an unpredictable way when exposed to too much electrical noise.

After I read how it actually works I understand why. Running long wires for BL Touch bundled with “high” power PWM wires like heaters or steppers is asking for trouble. So is using multiple power supplies without the same solid ground reference - this is pretty much the situation for all people running Klipper with a Raspberry Pi plugged into a power supply that is separate from the printer’s power supply. None of this is immediately obvious from reading the available information and I am convinced that this is the reason why many people “hate” the BL Touch.

If this is the problem, the solution is to separate noisy power wires from quiet signal wires when they run over long lengths, use shielded BL Touch wire harness, properly reference the ground between multiple power supplies, etc. Antclabs REALLY need to emphasize the importance of BL Touch sensitivity to induced or coupled electrical noise and instead they just brush it off by showing some shielded cables on their web site."

I also had random bed crashes after I installed BL Touch, but I also replaced the main board at the same time. You can read some of my saga here and in the referenced Duet3D forum link: Small improvement suggested to BLTouch.md · Issue #4367 · KevinOConnor/klipper · GitHub.

Thanks… hmm, then I need to see how I canreroute the cables

It would be helpful if you had an oscilloscope to check the noise levels and confirm that this is indeed the case.

Sorry thats wayyyyyy over my technical expertise :slight_smile:

But I might have been to far on the edge on the z offset of the bltouch. Is it possible to set the first z speed klipper lowers the head on homing in the head ?