Random extrude below minimum temp message

Basic Information:

Printer Model: Elegoo Neptune 3 MAX
MCU / Printerboard: stm32f401xc / BTT Pi
klippy.log

I am receiving an extrude below minimum temp error at random times, completely out of the blue. It might be 30% through a print, or it might be 96%, but it is definitely an issue, as I have not been able to finish a single print since it started. I can’t seem to find a cause, or a solution, hopefully somebody here can help me get to the bottom of it.

Gcode of the file I am printing

Take a look at your log:

• You seem to feed a lot of unknown commands to Klipper (should not be the root cause of your issue but nevertheless)

• In the seconds before the error message, the extruder temperature wildly swings:

• Your system load is pretty high and something is eating your memory:

While the error message at this point is quite strange, it also seems that your system is pretty borked.

@Sineos Thanks for looking into this for me! I have noticed a lot of G3 and G17 commands in the console, which I believe are related to arc-fitting, but that load graph look like there is a lot more going on that I’m not aware of. Looks like the system memory takes a nosedive right about the same time as the extruder temp too. I’ve attached my config and supporting files here for additional troubleshooting, it’s pretty bare bones currently, as I have been slowly adding QOL macros to improve functionality.

config-20240226-073548.zip (19.4 KB)

Yes, if you want to call “doing more video shenanigans than printing” bare-bone then maybe.

Remove all this video, obico, octonowhere etc (including the cam itself) stuff and try again.
I’d bet this is driving the CPU and memory loss, plus finally causing your issues.

1 Like

In addition to the above, read about arcs, especially in combination with Klipper here: [FR] Automatic Extrusion - #10 by Sineos

Thanks! So, what I’m gathering from this thread is: arcs do not provide enough of a benefit to be considered a “must-have” implementation when it comes to rebuilding my printer config. I didn’t notice all of the “video shenanigans” going on in the background, I use Octo-everywhere to keep tabs on all of my printers from work, allowing me to pause the prints if anything looks amiss so I’m not looking at a pile of spaghetti at the end of the day. Ironically enough, the N3 MAX does not have a webcam hooked up to it yet, but the other two printers I have do, and have not experienced this issue. Granted, they run Klipper natively, being a N4 MAX and a V400.

Arcs rather make your prints worse with Klipper than any better. They have a value under Marlin to reduce Gcode size, since Marlin suffers from a reduced serial speed, which can lead to stuttering on high res gcode. Not needed and no added value for Klipper.

WRT to this video stuff:

• Webcams have a long history of creating unwanted behavior with Klipper, depending on the model used. Likely due to being very resource intensive on the USB bus or simply badly implemented by the manufacturer
  • Video per se is very resource intensive, both in computation and memory. This combined with sending it all to some webservice might just be too much for your host board

If you remove all this stuff you can, step by step, starting to add it back until it fails. Then you know that the last item added was the actual culprit.

1 Like

Ok, so I started from scratch, and the message still persists. Things I have done to try and resolve it since my initial post:

Replaced:

1. New bi-metal throat
  2. New plated copper heat block
  3. Slice Engineering boron-nitride thermal paste
  4. New heating element
  5. New screw-in thermistor
  6. New brass nozzle (since I was changing everything else, might as well)

At this point it is pretty much a brand-new hotend.

Re-flashed the BTT-pi with klipper, loaded default configs from TheFeralEngineer. No additional features were added. Fired up the printer, homed the axes, started a nozzle PID, and immediately received “extruder not heating at a fast enough rate” message.

Attach a recent klippy.log showing the error.

klippy.log (630.4 KB)
Here is the most recent log. From what I can tell, it is acting like there is a bad wire, but continuity checks out fine.

grafik

See Heater <name> not heating at expected rate

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.