Replacing heater and thermistor for extruder

I have an Ender 3 and have changed to a Micro-Swiss NG Direct-Drive extruder. I apparently had some bad gcode generated from PrusaSlicer 2.6.0 Alpha 3 that kept my Z-level at near 0 for many layers. It damaged my heat block and coated it with PETG. I am needing to replace the heat break, heat block, heater, and thermistor. I have already got the plated copper heat block from Micro-Swiss but debating on what to do for the heater and thermistor. It seems like now would be a good time to upgrade but upgrade to what? I don’t know what the power rating was on the previous heater but I was thinking of a 60W heater. For the thermistor, I think I would like to have one that just screws into the heat block instead of wires being held in by squeezing them with the head of a screw. When looking for thermistors with 3mm scew-in, I see two options… NTC 100K 3950 and 104NT-4-R025H42G. I can’t seem to find any good information explaining why I would want one over the other. I see I’ll need to change my printer.cfg file for whichever I go with, but not sure which is better. I know I’ll need to re-do the PID calibration, because something will be different after all of this.

I wouldn’t stress over the thermistor. Just make sure you use the right config value for whatever you end up getting.

1 Like

Agree to @theophile
It is good practice anyway to dial in each filament with a temperature tower or similar tests. So while a high absolute precision is surely nice to have, it only plays a minor role if you dial in your filaments.