Challenges with PID Tuning After Upgrading to PT1000 Thermistor in Ender 5 Pro

Basic Information:

Printer Model: Ender 5 Pro
MCU / Printerboard: Creality 4.2.2
klippy.log klippy.log (277.6 KB)

Describe your issue:

I have recently upgraded my Ender 5 Pro with a new extruder, a Phaetus Dragonfly hotend, and switched from a CR touch to a BL touch. This configuration initially worked well, but I decided to enhance it further by replacing the standard glass bead thermistor with a Slice Engineering PT1000 cartridge thermistor for more precise temperature readings.

However, since this upgrade, I’m repeatedly encountering the “Heater extruder not heating at expected rate” error during PID tuning. I understand that I can adjust my verify_heater settings to potentially resolve this, but I’m puzzled as to why this error is occurring with what should be a more accurate and stable setup.

To ensure a high-quality installation, I’ve:

• Tinned the leads
  • Used a dedicated JST XH crimping kit for secure connections
  • Applied boron nitride thermal paste to both the heater and the thermistor for improved thermal conductivity

Despite these improvements, the error persists. Could this issue be related to an increased overall thermal mass, or is there another factor I might be overlooking?

Additionally, I’m curious to know if this could be a side effect of the PT1000’s increased accuracy. Was the previous setup actually slower in responding to temperature changes, and the new, more precise setup is revealing this inaccuracy? Any insights into whether this is a common occurrence with more accurate thermistors would be greatly appreciated.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.