Replication Mode? Requires changing kins somewhat on the fly

I’m looking at implementing replication mode in Klipper, IE you have two X carriages on one linear guide and either send the same commands to both of their motors, or send inverted commands to either print two identical parts, or mirror copies of the same part.

I’m attempting to do the non-mirror version first by:

• Adding a macro to home both X carriages then position T1 in the middle of the travel
  • Adding a custom command to switch the X rail out for a new custom rail which addresses both steppers
  • Using the same command with a different MODE parameter to switch back to the original rail afterward.

IE I’m trying to copy the dual_carriage implementation. I’m running into problems with shared pins between the original X axis, the dc_axis, and the new ‘both’ axis, but I think I might be able to solve those with share_type? I’m gonna try it and see if bad things happen.

Is this a sane approach in general though? IE, can I create conflicting stepper instances on the mcu and have things go well as long as I never address them at the same time?

Relatedly, how on earth should I go about inverting my T1 dir pin for mirror mode?

Thanks,
-Nick

Interesting.

FYI, there’s been some recent discussions on this at kinematics: Add dual_carriage to hybrid-corexyz by Tircown · Pull Request #4296 · KevinOConnor/klipper · GitHub and kinematics: Add Marforged kinematics by Tircown · Pull Request #3609 · KevinOConnor/klipper · GitHub .

I haven’t looked at this in detail, but I would think one could use the same micro-controller stepper object and just hook it up to the “trapq” motion queue with different kinematics rules (stepper_kinematics). Again, though, I haven’t looked at it in detail.

I’m running into problems with shared pins between the original X axis, the dc_axis, and the new ‘both’ axis, but I think I might be able to solve those with share_type?

I’m not sure what would happen if you defined the stepper object twice in the micro-controller. It’d probably “mostly work”, but it’s hard to say what would happen in the “corner cases”. Probably better to define just one mcu object and do the arbitration in the host.

Cheers,
-Kevin