Support for more than 2 carriages on different gantries

I built a printer a few years back which has 2 y gantries and 2 x carriages per gantry. It is currently running a modified rrf2 firmware, which is outdated, and my most recent quad duplication prints have shown the board struggles with more complex geometry. I am trying to figure out if moving to klipper is an option (with a couple of octopus or spider boards). I can see there is not really a way to define tools as which x and y axis they should be using. It’s only x or y stepper definition, but not both. I don’t much care for mirror modes, but duplication – with 2 3, or 4 tools have been useful in the past (shields printing for ppe). I know this is a rather niche configuration, the cost to move to rrf3 is pretty high, also accelerometer/input shaping is more intuitive on klipper. My python knowledge is just good enough to see that the changes to idex module aren’t super straight forward to expand past 2 carriages, especially with 2 gantries. Some more info – my y gantries have 2 steppers each, which currently are able to home independently through logic gates, which I would like to ditch in favor of handling gantry de-skewing in firmware. Total stepper count is 16, with 4 independent z steppers, 2 x steppers per gantry, and 2 y steppers per gantry. My gantry circuit is done the way it is due an absolute hard limit of 14 steppers on the duet 2 platform.
I have not seen anyone ask about this as something that klipper could support, and seeing how quickly new features are added, I figured to ask before dropping a bunch of cash on rrf3 hardware.

There isn’t currently support for that. There is only limited support for single rail dual-carriage “idex” printers. I don’t know of anyone currently working on support for the hardware you’ve described.

-Kevin