Adding MPI4008 Display to Raspberry Pi Running Mainsail

Edited to make it more explicit that what I’m trying to is to get get KlipperScreen working with the Miuzei display and provide some more information.

Can anybody point me to what’s missing with setting up an MPI4008 (like: Miuzei Raspberry Pi 4 Touchscreen with Case Fan, 4 inch IPS Touch Screen LCD Display, 800x480 HDMI Monitor for RPI 4b 8gb/4gb/2gb with Touch Pen) on an rPi 4 with Mainsail? I can get it working quite easily under the Raspberry Pi OS but I can’t get it working under Mainsail.

I’m following installing KlipperScreen and using KIAUH to install KlipperScreen and making sure that Moonraker is a trusted client.

Looking at the instructions, that should be it but I’m still had a flashing screen saying that it wasn’t installed.

I then found 4inch HDMI Display-C which is for the four inch Miuzei 800x480 display but no joy.

I guess I’m looking in the wrong places - could anybody give me a pointer?

Just as an update - in looking through the documentation, I found that by using the command “tvservice -o”, I can stop the display from flashing on and off. When I run “tvservice -p”, the display resumes flashing on and off which leads me to believe that the signal coming out of the rPi isn’t compatible with the display.

Thanx!

1 Like

Okay, I’ve got KilpperScreen working on the Miuzei display/Raspberry Pi 4 combination.

The process is fairly simple, but it has to be followed exactly:

1. Install Mainsail (I haven’t tried Fluidd or standard Octoprint for this) on a micro-SD/TF Card and boot the Raspberry Pi with the Display attached.
  2. SSH login into the Raspberry Pi and install LCD-show using the commands listed in “How to rotate the display direction” in 5inch HDMI Display-B. I’ve listed the commands below. DO NOT EDIT CONFIG.TXT!!!
  3. The final command of the LCD-show sequence (“sudo MPI4008-show”) will reboot the Raspberry Pi and may cause the display to come up correctly. If it doesn’t (which means I believe the display isn’t working correctly), unplug the Raspberry Pi and replug it - the Raspberry Pi boot sequence should be displayed now. If there aren’t four Raspberri Pi icons across the top of the display, go back to 1. and start over.
  4. SSH login to the Raspberry Pi and install KIAUH using the instructions below.
  5. Run KIAUH using the “./kiauh/kiauh.sh” command and install “KlipperScreen”. This action will take about five minutes to run.
  6. Klipper should appear on the display.
  7. I found it helpful to power down the Raspberry Pi at this point (using the “shutdown” command) and power back up as the final update didn’t always work from this screen.
  8. If everything has been done correctly, then the Raspberry Pi should reboot (with the progress shown on the display) and Mainsail comes up.
  9. From the Mainsail (“.local”) webpage, add your “printer.cfg” file
  10. From the Mainsail (“.local”) webpage, do a update everything.

That’s it!

The LCD-show commands from point 2. to use are:

sudo rm -rf LCD-show
git clone GitHub - goodtft/LCD-show: 2.4" 2.8"3.2" 3.5" 5.0" 7.0" TFT LCD driver for the Raspberry PI 3B+/A/A+/B/B+/PI2/ PI3/ZERO/ZERO W
chmod -R 755 LCD-show
cd LCD-show/
sudo ./MPI4008-show

Note for the last command (“sudo ./MPI4008-show”), it’s given as “sudo ./XXX-show 90” in the webpage instructions. I have inserted the display type and, as I like the natural orientation of the display away from the power cord, I haven’t specified an angle.

Sorry for the pedantic instructions but I found a number of ways to not quite get there - I had a number of cases where I could get the display working, but KlipperScreen wouldn’t work or I would have everything working and try to streamline it by doing the “update everything” earlier in the process and the screen would stop working.

Now, having spent about ten hours on this as well as working with them (I have two) for about six hours, I have to say that I wouldn’t recommend this display. It’s not particularly bright, even at its highest setting, and the resistive touch panel isn’t very responsive - you get a plastic stylus with the displays and they are necessary to use the alpha-numeric keypads for changing your WiFi connection or device name.

I’m going to copy this into the Hardware known to work with KlipperScreen thread.

1 Like

Thanks so much for this post! I was pulling what’s left of my hair out trying to get this to work! Now I have full local control of my Ender 3 Pro with Sprite extruder. I’m very happy with how it’s performing!

Well, I may have spoken too soon. I tried installing a PiCam on my 4B and when I restarted everything KlipperScreen no longer works. I’ve tried re-installing everything except Mainsail. Will try that tomorrow - too tired tonight - and too frustrated…