Can't Print w/BLTouch, Z Offset Issues

Basic Information:

Printer Model: Artillery Sidewinder X1
MCU / Printerboard: MKS GEN_L V1.0
klippy.log (1.5 MB)

klippy.log

Fill out above information and in all cases attach your klippy.log file (use zip to compress it, if too big). Pasting your printer.cfg is not needed
Be sure to check our “Knowledge Base” Category first. Most relevant items, e.g. error messages, are covered there

Describe your issue:

I have been using Klipper with my printer for a little while (Octoprint as my frontend) and have had reasonable success, but since I installed a BLTouch I’ve had absolutely zero luck getting it to print at all. All I get is spaghetti, because I’m getting no bed adhesion whatsoever.

Based on the characteristics of the purge line and the way the printer is behaving I am almost 100% certain the toolhead is not close enough to the bed. It winds up “dragging” the first layer lines all over the bed, and nothing is sticking in place anywhere. I’ve tried using skirts, brims, and rafts, and I can’t even get the first layer of a raft to stick.

I’ve gone through the Z Offset calibration steps several times. The mount for my BLTouch is a fixed mount, and every time the calibration has reported an offset of 2.5mm when doing the paper test. I’ve tried using SAVE_CONFIG to store the configuration and I’ve also tried manually editing the value in the [bltouch] section of the config file. I’ve tried moving the offset both directions (up and down) and it seems to have no effect whatsoever on the adhesion. I’m getting the same results every single time, no matter what value I specify in z offset.

I’ve gone through the physical setup of my printer as well. I replaced the rollers on the x gantry to make sure there’s no wobble in the toolhead, made sure the belts are all tensioned correctly, etc. I added a textured PEI sheet because I’ve never had great results with the glass bed on the Sidewinder, did an extensive bed screw adjustment where I made sure I had very consistent resistance on the paper at all 4 screw positions. I even bought an infrared thermometer and used it to calibrate the bed temperature in case the magnetic backing for the PEI sheet caused some thermal loss (it did, about 10C, hence the 70 degree setting for my bed temp).

So, given all of this, I have become quite convinced that the z offset is the issue, but I have no idea what to do to fix it, since updating the configuration file, restarting the firmware, etc. doesn’t seem to be affecting the toolhead position at all. Anyone have any suggestions?

Hello @cskinner79 !

Do you have a genuine BLtouch or a clone?

After calibrating the height, you can store the actual value with

Z_OFFSET_APPLY_PROBE
SAVE_CONFIG

https://www.klipper3d.org/G-Codes.html#z_offset_apply_probe

Not sure how to confirm whether it’s authentic or a clone. It was a gift. The card in the packaging says it’s made by antclabs, and it looks like pictures I’ve seen of authentic ones. Does that help?

Trying those commands now.

Result of that command was:
Send: Z_OFFSET_APPLY_PROBE
Recv: // Nothing to do: Z Offset is 0

save_config didn’t seem to do anything… normally it causes the firmware to restart, but I just got an ok response.

I did accept and then save_config and the firmware restarted like I’m used to, but the config file didn’t change at all from what I can tell.

Sweet victory is mine! I decided to junk my existing config file and start fresh. Got the file from Clanks for my printer and then ran the probe_calibrate. This time I was moving the toolhead down .010 or less at a time until I got a bit more resistance on the paper. I’ve got a print going right now and so far (knock on wood) the skirt is staying put.

I think I should have been looking for more resistance on the paper than I was before. “a little bit of resistance” is such a subjective concept. In a perfect world I’d be using a set of feeler gauges to get a precise distance between the nozzle and the bed. Planning to go that direction next!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.