Config file for virtual hardware setup?

Gentle Klipperians,
I’m interested in developing a measurement and optimization testbed for 3D printer upgrades based on Klipper and a specific set of MCUs. Idea is to start with a specific “old” 3D printer (e.g., MakerBot Mini and Replicator 2), replace the electronics firmware with a Klipper-based package, and then evaluate various hardware updates for performance and cost. Currrently on hand is a Raspberry Pi Zero 2 W for host MPU and a Big Tree Tech SKR Pico V1.0 (with RP2040 MCU) for the Klipper system.
Before starting with real printer hardware, is there a “virtual-XYZ.config” file I could start with, just to simulate a hardware environment and get the testbed going?
Comments? Recommendations?

TIA,
Mike

Do you mean something like like these?

Thanks, JessMan23, for the quick reply. Yes, there are lots of sample config files (too many? :wink:) Examining them and the developer docs will certainly be useful, but only get me part of the way. They all appear to require some target hardware to actually execute the optimized G-code and provide responses to Klipper. My hope (probably unrealistic) was that someone might have done a software simulator of a specific hardware base (e.g., returns an appropriately-timed response when “executing” some random G-code operation).
That’s probably too ambitious. I should probably start with an existing hardware core plus my Klipper package (e.g., as Rolohaun did here in updating a Replicator 5)

I’ve never tried it, but according to the developer documentation you can use SimulAVR to simulate a microcontroller.

https://www.klipper3d.org/Debugging.html#testing-with-simulavr

flowerysong, thanks for the specific reference to simulavr. At first glance, it looks like it’s simulating the “wrong thing” for my purposes: the MPU, rather than the printer mechatronics connected to it. But I’ll do a careful reading of that section of the docs as I do an “RTFM”.

Mike

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.