Cr-10 constant layer shifting

Basic Information:

Printer Model: cr-10
MCU / Printerboard: mks gen 1.4
klippy.log
logs-20231209-132912.zip (320.2 KB)

Describe your issue:

I`m trying to make klipper working with my cr-10.
My setup is
klipper host: Raspberry pi 3 with klipperScreen and 7 inch touchscreen
mcu: MKS Gen 1.4
motor Drivers
X - Y: TMC2130 spi mode
Extruder - Z: A4988

Is 1 week i’m trying to print this gcode
gcodes-2023119-133322.zip (924.3 KB)
the result is always a constant shifting in layers.

Nothing change if i slow down acceleration or if increase it. Then first print i made was at 1000 acceleration, then i slow down to 150, but nothing change.
Nothing changes if increase current, i start printing with current at 0.8 up to 1A and made various print with the same result.

I can’t figure what is going on, seems like the printer shift every layer at the same place in X and in Y but only in this print, because the external wall finish is quite good, without steps in layers.

I thinked it was a TMC2130 problem, i replaced that with 2 new but no changes happened.

Maybe is something related with a TMC register, so i tryed tmc_autotune but nothing change.

If i print a test cube the layers are not shifted

Maybe is something related with my settings but i cant’t figure what.

Help me please.

I post here some photos

Failed prints
20231205_224005.zip (4.3 MB)

Test cube is ok
20231205_230335.zip (4.1 MB)

What are your steppers X and Y currents ? 0.8 to 1.0 A ? Increase !

On a similar bed slinger (same footprint), custom built from a Tornado after all structural and kinematics parts were replaced with machined ones, X and Y : 1.2 Amps. Prints fast (thanks Klipper), beautifully, and reliably. Printing beautiful Voron parts (when they don’t fit the Zero).
In a active heated chamber of course ; such currents having being working great for years. (of course the electronics are not in the chamber !)
Tons of outdated misinformation all over the web, with super shy currents.

My last try was at 1A.
acceleration: 200
Velocity: 400

I replaced my TMC2130 with A4988 but I’ve got the same issue.

Finally I reflashed Marlin, and it work flawlessy.
I don’t know if is a configuration problem or a klipper problem with my setup.
In Marlin i have
#define DEFAULT_MAX_FEEDRATE { 250, 200, 5, 25 }
#define DEFAULT_MAX_ACCELERATION { 200, 125, 100, 5000 }

But i print at 40 velocity with 150 fast movement.

this i my last klipper print

and this Marlin print

Same setting in SuperSlicer

Maybe my MKS Gen 1.4 (8 bit) is too old for Klipper?

You compare apples with pears…
Under Marlin you use 125 mm/s² for Y and with Klipper it is at least 200. That is really low even for a bed slinger.
1000 or 400 mm/s speed is quite high or too high.

The TMC2130 are in SpreadCycle so it should not be a problem to handle the acceleration.

Maybe start with a new and simple config without all those macros.
Especially for those old 8 bit MCUs Klipper is helping except you overload it.
Have my Anycubic i3 Mega equipped with a new and heavier bed and IDEX and with the correct current you can run X with several 100 mm/s and even the bed is faster than before.

I know but the same problem was present when i’ve tried klipper with 100 acceleration and 200 max_velocity.
Before posting here I spent 1 week testing, but regardless of all the setting combinations the result was always the same.
The mcu load was at about 25-35%.

I really don’t understand what was the problem, but at the moment with this printer i remain with marlin, maybe when i finish build my voron 2.4 i give a try.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.