CR-Touch always triggered

Hi,

I have been printing using marlin for a couple of months now with no major issues. I figured I would give Klipper a try to further optimize my prints. When I got to the part of the guide regarding bltouch I began experiencing errors

The Issue: When I type query_probe into the terminal klipper invariably returns :
// probe: TRIGGERED

Raising, lowering, and resetting has no effect on this output. Additionally this error is thrown after firmware restart.

$ FIRMWARE_RESTART
// Failed to verify BLTouch probe is raised; retrying.
// Klipper state: Ready

As the crtouch works fine with marlin I am assuming this is a software/config issue. Additionally the color of the light on the probe changes when I manually trigger the probe. The CRtouch uses a 5 pin cable harness while the bltouch uses a 3 pin. I suspect there is an issue with my sensor_pin however all the documentation points to using sensor_pin: ^PB1

I am running a stock ender 3 v2 with the crealty 4.2.2 board.

For ease of reading here are the relevant excerpts from my config file:

[bltouch]
sensor_pin: ^PB1
control_pin: PB0
x_offset: -42
y_offset: -10
z_offset: 0

[stepper_z]
step_pin: PB6
dir_pin: !PB5
enable_pin: !PC3
microsteps: 16
rotation_distance: 8
endstop_pin: probe:z_virtual_endstop
# position_endstop: 0.0
position_max: 250
position_min: -5 #for bltouch

printer.cfg (4.7 KB)

You may check if the control works correct/the wiring is ok.
PB0 seems to be ok. You maybe caught the wrong wire?

When the sensor pin does not move out even there is enough space below the CR-Touch, that may be the culprit.

Not quite correct:
grafik

1 Like

The connection to the motherboard is seated as is the connection to the probe. I can move the pin up and down via the terminal. The light changes from blue to red when I trigger the pin in the down position.

Thanks for clarifying on the bl touch having 5 wires. I saw a workaround somewhere suggesting moving the sensor wires to the z axis limit switch port but but am unable to do that with the cr touch as all 5 wires are placed in the same plug.

I also tried adding the below as suggested in the docs

[bltouch]
…
pin_up_touch_mode_reports_triggered: False

This had no effect.

Have you seen this:?

https://www.klipper3d.org/BLTouch.html#bl-touch-clones

yes. My understanding is that touch_mode is false by default. Executing G28 immediately after restarting klipper and klippy yields:

07:56:02
$ FIRMWARE_RESTART
07:56:05
07:56:07
07:56:09
07:56:11
$ G28
07:56:26
07:56:28
07:56:29
!! BLTouch failed to raise probe

Adding
[bltouch]
…
pin_up_reports_not_triggered: False

yields:

08:14:22
$ FIRMWARE_RESTART
08:14:25
08:14:31
$ G28
08:14:45
!! BLTouch failed to deploy

The pin does deploy then immediately retracts.

You may can experiment on this parameter:

#pin_move_time: 0.680
#   The amount of time (in seconds) to wait for the BLTouch pin to
#   move up or down. The default is 0.680 seconds.

Redid all of the above commands with pin_move_time: 5.0 and the results are slower but the output identical.

I have been skimming through the github looking for the boolean function that determines if the pin is triggered or not but have yet to find it. Seems like the issues is related to the trigger function.

The Ender 3 Max uses the same board and also has the CR-Touch.
A verified cfg can be found here: klipper/printer-creality-ender3max-2021.cfg at master · Klipper3d/klipper · GitHub

Edit: Also make sure that your bed is sufficiently far away so that the probe can actually deploy. Also according to my experience an “offended” Touchy might require a full power cycle (reset is not enough) of the board to become cooperative again.

This appears to be a hardware issue, not a software issue. I reflashed marlin and the cr touch no longer works with marlin. I suspect either the cable or the cr touch failed. I will attempt to get a replacement via warranty and try again with a new one. Thanks for all the help.

1 Like

Confirming that it was a mechanical failure. A new wire harness fixed the isse.

1 Like