Driver coms error

Basic Information:

Printer Model: Ender 3
MCU / Printerboard: SKR 3EZ and klipper pad 7
klippy.txt (1.6 MB)

klippy.log

Fill out above information and in all cases attach your klippy.log file (use zip to compress it, if too big). Pasting your printer.cfg is not needed
Be sure to check our “Knowledge Base” Category first. Most relevant items, e.g. error messages, are covered there

Describe your issue:

Hello everyone, I am very new to klipper and have just installed it.
Here is the list of my set up.
Ender 3 with a 400m x 400m heated build plate.
SKR 3 EZ board.
TMC 2209 v3 Drivers.
Microswiss direct drive.
Microswiss all metal hotend.
Dual Z stepper Motors.
Klipper Pad 7 with CB1.
Glass bed.

I have linked my log file but I am really stumped on this one. It’s just one thing after the other.

Unable to read tmc uart ‘stepper_z’ register DRV_STATUS
Once the underlying issue is corrected, use the
“FIRMWARE_RESTART” command to reset the firmware, reload the
config, and restart the host software.
Printer is shutdown

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

I don’t own a SKR 3 EZ!

Your config looks fine regarding the error. In my eyes you may have a prob with the stepper supply voltage. Did you measure the voltage at the steppers? If the voltage is fine, forget the following.
If not, first thing I would check is point “3.2 Motor Voltage Selection” in the manual.

Good luck, hcet14

See TMC drivers - Klipper documentation
Yet another popular mistake is to have the boards jumpers set wrongly.

Thank you for your response.
I have the power supply going to the motor input on the motherboad as well as the normal DC input to then power everything else. Which means I have the jumpers set to the one circled in attachment. Which as I read it if I have power for the drivers coming from the motor input instead of the motherboard then I need to put jumpers on the middle and left pins as per manual.

I have done this but no go.

Thank you for your response.
Are you referring to the motor input jumpers or is there others I should be looking into?

Sorry, missed that you are using EZ drivers. They do not need board jumpers to select between SPI and UART

I have seen multiple reports that these drivers are DOA. Try swapping another driver module, e.g. the extruder into Z and see if the error persists.
If not, then likely you have a dead driver module.

If yes, then try connection the z-stepper to, e.g. the extruder port and adapt your config accordingly (it does not matter which motor is connected to which port as long as the pins are correctly assigned)
If now your issue has moved with the stepper, then likely you have an issue with the stepper motor or with its wiring.

Na I’m not using the EZ drivers though I have ordered some I’m using the TCM 2209 drivers with the pins coming out.

What I don’t understand are the errors on 3 different steppers!

Line   570: Transition to shutdown state: Unable to read tmc uart 'stepper_z' register DRV_STATUS
Line  1461: Transition to shutdown state: Unable to read tmc uart 'stepper_z' register DRV_STATUS
Line  2277: TMC stepper_z failed to init: Unable to read tmc uart 'stepper_z' register IFCNT     
Line  2278: TMC extruder failed to init: Unable to read tmc uart 'extruder' register IFCNT       
Line  2279: TMC stepper_z1 failed to init: Unable to read tmc uart 'stepper_z1' register IFCNT   
Line  2375: Transition to shutdown state: Unable to read tmc uart 'stepper_z' register IFCNT     
Line  3179: TMC extruder failed to init: Unable to read tmc uart 'extruder' register IFCNT       
Line  3180: TMC stepper_z1 failed to init: Unable to read tmc uart 'stepper_z1' register IFCNT   
Line  3253: Transition to shutdown state: Unable to read tmc uart 'stepper_z1' register IFCNT    
Line  4259: Transition to shutdown state: Unable to read tmc uart 'extruder' register DRV_STATUS 
Line  5148: Transition to shutdown state: Unable to read tmc uart 'stepper_z' register DRV_STATUS
Line  5386: Unable to read tmc uart 'stepper_z' register DRV_STATUS                              
Line 12406: Transition to shutdown state: Unable to read tmc uart 'stepper_z' register DRV_STATUS

Could it be, that your UART connection is distorted by noise?

Have your steppers a good connection to PE?
Solid grounding is always a good measure against distortions.

It seems all the connections are snug I can not see any issues there

So have you already swapped the drivers as @Sineos mentioned above?

Yeah. Also the extruder worked at unloading but then after a few seconds of moving just stopped and said the same error message but for the extruder.

How did you do the connections?

You may post some pictures of your printer. Maybe someone else has an idea.

I’m still going down the road of electromagnetic interference.

Ok, you have a loose experimental wiring.

Loose wires work like antennas to electromagnetic interference (distortions).

You mess up your data interfaces!

First thing, I would do, bundle the cables. That’s probably not good enough.

A 3D printer is a big source of electromagnetic noise, especially the steppers.
I doubt any affordable 3d printer (commercial or private) fulfills the regulatory requirements.

My understanding:

• You swapped the Z and extruder driver module
  • You can now move X, Y and Z
  • When extruding the error comes back

If this is correct and your issue is moving with the stepper driver, then likely this module is defect.

What part needs to be grounded? Or are you referring to the black cable from the motor to driver or one of those color wires?

So it seems no matter what driver I use in the Z driver it seems to come up with the same error. I thought it might be that the red and green wires might need to be swapped as one motor is a unbranded and the other is creality but no joy.

Not always a good idea: Never bundle cables the are used to do some power action, like those for stepper motors, with data cables, like those for LCDs.

Those four wires from the stepper motor only go to the output of the stepper driver. No where else.

The cabling for my taste does not look too wild. The printer is in a state of experimenting, fixing. When everything runs well, it an be sorted.

What do you have connected to this buck converter?

1 Like

So the stepper motor cables only go from the motor connectors on the Motherboard straight to the motors no where else they are just linger because once figured out the mother board is going under the table.

The buck Converter is just going to a fan that is blowing across the whole motherboard.

1 Like