Got EOF when reading from device only when heating the bed

Printer Model: Anycubic kobra max
Printerboard: Trigorilla pro 1.0.4
klippy.log (111.9 KB)
External Board: Raspberry PI zero 2 w

hi everyone, i hope you are doing well.

i’m having “Got EOF when reading from device” only while heating the bed, i heated the hot end and it works just fine. however, if i run PID_calibrate for the heater bed and set the temperature to 50C. the PID_calibrate will auto change to 45C and complete with no shutdown.

another point is when the bed temperature is at 20C and i manually change it to 40C the bed will use 100% power until the bed reaches the temperature around 35C and then keeps fluctuating and changing the power from 10% to 40% to 97% to 60%. however during the initial process of heating the power is always at 100% with no fluctuation.

recently when i was checking the Klippy.log i would see NULL lines in the log. Imgur: The magic of the Internet

Things i have tried that didn’t fix it for me:

• changed the connection cable between the PI and the MCU and changed the cable to power up the PI.

• changed the power supply for the PI.

• removed the camera from the PI.

• Changed the board to PI 4 with a stronger power supply, and kept trying different
    USB sockets to no avail.

• i did a clean re-flash and re-install of everything (Klipper and firmware).

• checked the MCU cable that they are connected properly.

• checked if the connection from MCU’s part

• followed the suggested solutions in here Got EOF when reading from device

Thanks.

Can I ask where you got your gcode? Does this problem happen with different models?

Everything else looks good, I’d suggest you try a different gcode file or rebuild the current one and see what happens with the error.

For the printer config file i used [this](Anycubic Kobra Max config file

I sliced two models:

• one that is 195C for the hotend and 50C for the bed and the printer and it gave me the shutdown error.
  • the second one i sliced with 195C for the hotend and 0C for the bed and there was no shutdowns or error at all.

“Got EOF when reading from device” is related to the connection between the Linux Operating system and the printer board. This means that something on Operating System Level, respectively hardware level is unstable and causing the connection to drop.

Gcode / models is unlikely a contributor to this.
Check with sudo dmesg if there are any errors in such a case.

Edit:
Verify that it is repeatable that prints without a heated bed are working but once the bed is heated problems start.
If so, then you have limited the contributors to:

• PSU of the printer board too weak / defective
  • Defects in the heated bed, e.g. short circuit
  • Defect on the bed’s heater port on the board

Things like this are not uncommon and I have “produced” this already myself (although this was a Marlin printer, but hardware does not care about Marlin / Klipper)

1 Like

Excuse my late replies.

I have checked the soldered cables for the heat bed. I don’t think there is anything wrong.

Is there a way i can check the printer’s power supply and the printer’s port are working properly for the heated bed?

Edit:
I can confirm that the issue only occurs when the print is trying to heat the bed.

Can you use a Digital Volt Meter (DVM)?

If so, look at the power supply’s voltage before a print starts and monitor it as you start the bed heating.

i just checked the voltage. the DVM was reading 23.9 volts when the bed was heating, then the volts started dropping when the temperature almost reached the target and two lights on the board started flickering. the lowest voltage i read was 9 volts and then the printer went off.

The flickering lights I mentioned above:

The green light is located on the heater board.

The blue light is located on the MCU

Edit:
i have no idea if posting the flickered light might be helpful or not.

Update:

Out of curiosity i went back to marlin to check if the bed is heating properly. And the bed temperature works just fine and stable at the targeted temperature without any shutdowns.

Any idea?

Now, you’re measuring the voltage at the power supply - correct? I’m wondering if you’re measuring at the heated bed and you’re seeing an RC filtered voltage due to the PWM.

When you run Marlin, what happens to the power (at both the heated bed, if you’re measuring there as well as the power supply)?

As for the flickering LED, I presume that’s the LED indicating whether or not power is being applied to the bed.

What kind of power supply do you have and how is it wired to the main controller and the heated bed?

Correct, i was measuring the voltage from the power supply.
I just tested the voltage with marlin and it acted the same way when i tested the voltage with Klipper but the difference is that there is no shutdown with Marlin and the temperature will stabilize at the target temperature.

here is an image for the connection from the power supply to heating platform and the printer’s board.

In general, Klipper is a lot more demanding and stricter than Marlin, which is absolutely the right thing to do, since otherwise subtle (or less subtle) problems might go unnoticed.

So, it does not matter if Marlin or Klipper: If your PSU voltage drops from 24V to 9V during heating, then you are having a hardware issue. Either:

• Heated bead
  • Boards MOSFETs
  • PSU

I would guess the PSU.

The power supply being bad would be my guess as well but I’m wondering if something else is going on here. It’s strange that the voltage is going down when the load is dropping (ie when the bed is warming up).

How is Klipper more “demanding and stricter” than Marlin when it comes to the power supply?

Regardless, I suggest you swap out the power supply and see what happens. Mean Well is everybody’s first choice.

@mykepredko @Sineos Thank you for the support and suggestions. I will change the PSU.

The current PSU is 24v 500w

I found [this](MOGOULUA Switching Power Supply 600W 24V 25A Universal Power Supply Unit 110V/220V to 24V Transformer Regulated Power Supply LED Driver AC Converter DC Adapter for CCTV Radio Computer Monitor https://amzn.eu/d/6zEzG2g) on amazon with 24v 600w. Should i get this?

Apparently the Kobra Max comes with a 500W power supply - the one you link to should do the job.

If you want a good quality, reliable PSU then I’d recommend going for a Mean Well SE-600-24 or Mean Well LRS-600-24

1 Like

Thank you for the suggestions. I bough a new PSU and i get no shutdowns. However, a new problem started, the printer will shutdown mid print and give me the error below.

TMC ‘stepper_z’ reports error: DRV_STATUS: 401a0103 otpw=1(OvertempWarning!) ot=1(OvertempError!) t120=1 cs_actual=26 stealth=1

Please post your new klippy.log.

i forgot to connect the MCU fan. i connected it and now its fixed.

Again, thank you so much for the support and help.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.