I'm calling this Extreme Layer Shift or ELS for short ( patent pending :-) )

I was wodering if anyone had ever come across this kind of problem before? I have recently replaced the mainboarrd in my Creality CR-X after the touch screen died and decided to try Klipper for the first time. After playing with it for about a week off and on and getting a slight layer shift with a couple of items that were not very tall that I was trying to print I decided to print a calibration cube to see if it was just my design, apparently it was not…

I formatted everything and started again with the most basic printer config before printing the cube, I just grabbed the generic-bigtreetech-skr-mini-e3-v3.0.cfg from Github and updated the bed size, tried to add the bltouch (CRTouch), added the [bed_scews] for manual bed levelling, added [safe_z_home] to home in the middle of the bed and changed the [mcu] serial device. I have attached the printer.cfg below, I have tried many things, too many to list and now am just after ideas? The printer was working on Marlin before the screen died and I changed the mainboard, TFT and ran Klipper, so I would say it’s not the hardware but I have seen greater coincidences happen before so I have gone over the printer and made sure everything is tight and square and in doing so found that with Klipper it is over extruding by about 20mm so not sure if they are related but also can’t work out how to adjust that in the config settings, so if someone could help me with that also??? Thank you in advance for any help it will be greatly appreciated.
printer.cfg.txt (3.2 KB)

Printer: Originally Creality CR-X but not much original any more
Bed: 310 x 320 x 400 with PEI textured magnetic plate
HotEnd: MicroSwiss full metal single nozzle, single extruder
Board: Brand new BigTreeTech SKR Mini E3 v3.0
Screen: BigTreeTech Raspberry Pad 5 with CM4 2GB Lite
Connection: Via GPIO 14 and 15 on Raspberry Pi to RX2 and TX2 via TFT on Mainboard
Probe: CRTouch installed and plugged in but can’t get Bed Mesh levelling working so printer is manually levelled
Steppers: Original Creality X, Y and Extruder = 42-40, 1.8° and dual Z = 42-34, 1.8°
Runout Sensor: BTT Smart Filament Sensor also new not yet plugged in (Wanted to get something working before I tackle something else)

Hello @DIrwin !

Have you tried a higher run_current? So about 0.850 A up to 0.900 A?

No I didn’t, still very new to klipper. Are you talking on all tmc2209 or just the X axis or the extruder? Have done some reading but still not sure what adjusting the run current does.

Hey @EddyMI3D thank you so much for your help, changing the run_current on [tmc2209 stepper_y] from 0.580 to 0.850 fixed the calibration print it is now a cube instead of a set of stairs

1 Like