Issue with Printer.config

I am running an Ender 3 V2 Neo with a 4.2.2 board.
Am running Pi 4B device
Installed klipper with Pi Imager software, mainsail is running fine

I have created printer.cfg in the config directory
I copied and used the sample config file for my machine, created file in Notepad++, used SCP to upload, After it not working used chmod 777 on both the config folder and the printer.cfg

Went to the directory by copying the path from the log file. Verified printer.cfg name by renaming it by copying the name in the log file.

It is there in the path, and I doubt highly it is a permission issue. What could be the issue?

Again, let me repeat, the file is located at the path and the name is correct. verified and verified

klippy.zip (10.0 KB)

So I installed Klipper using kiauh on a different usb card. I ran through the whole process and created a printer.cfg file, but Klipper isnt reading the new printer.cfg. It is reading something else. Klipper is pulling the default text that kiauh created for the printer.cfg file. This is NOT the text that is in the printer.cfg after I edited it.

The python function passes this as arguments
Args: [‘/home/3d/klipper/klippy/klippy.py’, ‘/home/3d/printer_data/config/printer.cfg’, ‘-I’, ‘/home/3d/printer_data/comms/klippy.serial’, ‘-l’, ‘/home/3d/printer_data/logs/klippy.log’, ‘-a’, ‘/home/3d/printer_data/comms/klippy.sock’]

When I goto ‘/home/3d/printer_data/config/printer.cfg’, the text in it is not what is showing in the klipper log file. See attached. The text at the top that is causing the [mcu] path to be set wrong is from kiauh default file it creates. Although after searching the entire drive, I can find no other printer.cfg, except for a backup I deleted. So where is Klipper reading this erroneous data from, cause it isnt reading the printer.cfg even though that is the parameter is is being passed.

klippy (13).zip (16.6 KB)

Your Klipper is using /home/3d/printer_data/config/printer.cfg. There is no other possibility

So I installed Klipper using kiauh on a different usb card. I ran through the whole process and created a printer.cfg file, but Klipper isnt reading the new printer.cfg. It is reading something else. Klipper is pulling the default text that kiauh created for the printer.cfg file. This is NOT the text that is in the printer.cfg after I edited it.

The python function passes this as arguments
Args: [‘/home/3d/klipper/klippy/klippy.py’, ‘/home/3d/printer_data/config/printer.cfg’, ‘-I’, ‘/home/3d/printer_data/comms/klippy.serial’, ‘-l’, ‘/home/3d/printer_data/logs/klippy.log’, ‘-a’, ‘/home/3d/printer_data/comms/klippy.sock’]

When I goto ‘/home/3d/printer_data/config/printer.cfg’, the text in it is not what is showing in the klipper log file. See attached. The text at the top that is causing the [mcu] path to be set wrong is from kiauh default file it creates. Although after searching the entire drive, I can find no other printer.cfg, except for a backup I deleted. So where is Klipper reading this erroneous data from, cause it isnt reading the printer.cfg even though that is the parameter is is being passed. See:

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/cn7ynyeyqrsdo579uuugv/klippy-22.zip?rlkey=4v8qzel70jzayo4nmgjb0610v&dl=1

Here is my printer.cfg:

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/n8ck7ctwrgjxow6hcg5mx/printer.zip?rlkey=39wl27iqw7d94jv8n9nwe26gl&dl=1

What the #%@!!! does klipper want? If I delete/rename the printer.cfg it whines that it cant find it, so it is checking for it, but it isn’t reading that file.

If it were reading that file, it would have different text in the log. I am 100% sure that there is only 1 printer.cfg in the installation and that it is located in /home/3d/printer_data/config/printer.cfg

I have no clue what you are doing.
I can 100% assure you that if the log says your cfg is /home/3d/printer_data/config/printer.cfg then it is your cfg.
Of course, Klipper requires a restart after modifying the cfg. You may want to try issuing a
sudo systemctl restart klipper

yeah, I hear you, it is a head scratcher. I’ll try a brand new install with the PI imager. Hopefully something will be different. (fingers crossed)

Completly fresh install. Same problem. Edited existing printer.cfg that KIAUH made inside Mainsail, hard reboot of Pi, and Klipper is showing the contents of the file before the edits. Opened file with winscp and the text in the file is correct. the text in the log file is something else entirely.

Fresh install with Pi Imager and Klipper says it cant find the file that is clearly there.

Did you use a brand new SD card?
Never had any issues especially when using KIAUH.

used 3 different cards, formatted them, etc… Hell I even used a partitioner and removed and created a new volume and did a low level format.

You should be looking at the end of your klippy.log, not the beginning of it. Your klippy (22).log reflects 17 klippy boots and there are clear changes to the printer.cfg file for each one. The second-to-last boot in the log reflects a printer.cfg that matches the one you posted. So klipper clearly is reading the printer.cfg you’re working with and it’s applying the changes as expected.

The error you’re consistently receiving is:

mcu 'mcu': Timeout on connect
mcu 'mcu': Wait for identify_response
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/3d/klipper/klippy/serialhdl.py", line 68, in _get_identify_data
    params = self.send_with_response(msg, 'identify_response')
  File "/home/3d/klipper/klippy/serialhdl.py", line 261, in send_with_response
    return src.get_response([cmd], self.default_cmd_queue)
  File "/home/3d/klipper/klippy/serialhdl.py", line 318, in get_response
    self.serial.raw_send_wait_ack(cmds[-1], minclock, reqclock,
  File "/home/3d/klipper/klippy/serialhdl.py", line 253, in raw_send_wait_ack
    self._error("Serial connection closed")
  File "/home/3d/klipper/klippy/serialhdl.py", line 61, in _error
    raise error(self.warn_prefix + (msg % params))
serialhdl.error: mcu 'mcu': Serial connection closed

This suggests that the host software is trying to connect to the mcu but isn’t getting a response. One possible cause for that error is that the klipper firmware isn’t installed on the mcu. Did you compile the mcu firmware and install it on your control board?

Well!! (facepalm)

did not expect the log to append, but in retrospect…
Thanks a lot!