Klipper and skr 1.4 Turbo

Hi All, ive just ordered a RatRig Vcore 3 and intend to use Klipper on it. I have a creality CR10 with a SKR 1.4 Turbo and 2209 drivers and am thinking of installing Klipper on that machine to play with it bgefor the rat rig arrives.

Can someone confirm that kilpper is compatible with the SKR 1.4 turbo?
Will the printer benefit from installing klipper?

Yes, the SKR 1.4 turbo is compatible with Klipper. See the note at the top of the linked config file for info about how to flash the board. You will also need a Raspberry Pi or comparable SBC. Whether the printer will benefit is subjective.

https://github.com/Klipper3d/klipper/blob/master/config/generic-bigtreetech-skr-v1.4.cfg

Thanks for that. ill give it a go… i have a pi 2 model b v1.1 will that do the job?

That will be fine if you plan to run Mainsail or Fluidd. It might be a bit slow if you want to run Octoprint.

I read that octoprint wasnt a good idea with klipper and they dont work well together?

This isn’t entirely true. When Klipper was created, the only option was Octoprint. Mainsail and Fluidd were made to integrate with Klipper and Moonraker, so they definitely work better, but Octoprint can be used. I personally prefer Mainsail, but some people still use Octoprint.

1 Like

Thanks
hi again, may i ask why its subjective? from what i read, i can get faster prints even with the cr10s and this is what im after, without loss of quality of course. Thats why ive ordered a rat rig.

if you have time can you tell me the pros/cons?

Achievable print speed is not depending on the Web UI but only on the mechanical capabilities of your printer and a bit on the MCU board

To the differences between the UIs

Octoprint:

• Need to use the virtual sd card feature to avoid serial bottlenecks
  • Highly customizable
  • Lot of plugins
  • Bit sluggish

Moonraker based UIs, e.g. Mainsail, Fluidd, DWC2 etc

• Modern communication API towards Klipper, i.e. no need for virtual sd card
  • Modern and performant UI
  • Less customizable
  • Less extensions

Thanks for that,

i guess the question is, will i achieve faster speeds with no loss of quality with klipper on a cr10s vs marlin, or is the printer just not up to faster speed than can already be achieved with marlin

There is no general answer to this. Klipper has the charming advantage to do the path planning on the SBC, thus relieving the MCU of this task. This leads to higher achievable step rates and surely is a game changer on 8 bit board.
Also it can internally work with more precise calculation that would need approximations on MCU-only firmwares.

So for your answers:

Klipper Fan Boy answer: Yes, like 10x and you will safe the climate

Reality: Maybe but typically you will max out the mechanical properties of your printer before you max out any firmware capability on modern 32bit boards

Generally I (and prolly most people hanging out here) absolutely prefer Klipper over Marlin. Cannot comment on RRF as I never used it.
For me personally, because Klipper focuses on printing and not on supporting hundred billions of obscure displays and chocolate printers and because Klipper has a very stringent development.

Edit:
Forgot to mention: Keeping up with Marlin development and building Marlin from scratch is one of the biggest pains I ever encountered. So updating and changing config in Klipper is a major plus for me.

Thanks for that concise and well framed answer. Who can resist the opportunity of being a fan boy???
AND, im still struggling to get my first Marling from scratch config to be exactly correct… never did mange to get sensor less homing working and it still travels to far over to the RH on the x axis when bed levelling and im buggered if i can see why…

Ill give it a go and keep my Marlin config in reserve!!

I am running my Ender 5 Pro on an SKR 1.4 T. It runs just fine. Of course, it’s not a drop-in replacement, so the SD and USB ports don’t line up with the chassis.

My experience with Klipper is that I get better prints than with Marlin. In great part, I think this is because of the tuning features provided by Klipper. Things like resonance tuning and pressure advance have made a dramatic improvement to my prints.

Of course, 1 feature everyone loves is the use of printer.cfg – sooooo much easier than re-compiling Marlin for every little change.