Klipper worth installing? Using PETG only

Basic Information:

Printer Model: Ender 3
MCU / Printerboard: Creality board 1.1.4 (firmware 1.1.6)
klippy.log

Describe your issue:

So i use Ender 3 and after 2 spools of PLA finally got first spool of Nebula PETG(Its my target filament type).
It prints very nice at 225C with print speed of 60mm/s. But since i got problems with extrusion at corners(1.1.6 firmware dont support linear advance, in firmware 1.9.1 its present and i can upgrade to it, but it lacks other things like input shaping and more probably that i cant use because 1.9.1 is max marlin version for my board).

I have arduino and accelerometer(buyed with arduino uno and cables).
But i need to pick now Marlin/Klipper.
Using stock bowden and extruder(since filament is 225C printing good i didnt change it).

My question is:
Is Klipper worth installing while u print PETG only?(obviously i cant print it at very high speeds).
What are the advantages of using Klipper, anyone who print PETG can say something about it?

What has the firmware (ecosystem) to do with your preferred filament?
Klipper is more than just printing faster if properly set up.
If your printer suffers from ringing for example it is present with PETG as with other filaments but you can reduce/eliminate it with Klippers input shaping and other features.
Klipper offers access with nice GUIs and has other good features that are worth using it.

But Klipper is nothing that you just install easily and it works perfectly. You have to setup your printer config according to your printer hardware and then tune everything.
Some things might cause headaches but are worth it.

You maybe want to further read here:
https://www.klipper3d.org/

1 Like

1 Use Creality board 1.1.4 with marlin 1.1.6

What criteria are you using to make this decision? Are you looking for better quality, faster prints, easier to use?

Klipper has its own firmware that runs on the main controller board; it sounds like you’re comfortable with changing the firmware on the board. It also requires a “host” system, which is typically a Raspberry Pi (3 or 4 is generally recommended) although other systems are used but the Raspberry Pi is the solution that’s easier to get running when you’re first starting out.

I’m mentioning the host because you should expect to shell out $100 USD or so for a Raspberry Pi and power supply and there’s a bit of learning involved to get everything up and running, which will probably take six to eight hours for your first set up (with a question or two here).

So, what are your criteria for deciding if it’s worth it along with the extra cost and effort?

Hm, i look for better quality prints mostly and maybe a little faster(i do 60mm/s atm.) i can use my pc to test klipper on ubuntu server no problem without cost.
It will just run in backgroud im always at home while printing and watching it from time to time while watching movie or something.
Some guides say that i can get more steps from stepper motors and it will increase quality.
Im on 8bit board atm with A4988 drivers there(probably) how its done need to calibrate it? how it works?
Other thing is pressure advance thingy(i need that badly) but marlin have that also(its just implemented differently and prints are slower), and input shaping(marlin doesnt have that in 1.9.1 firmware and cant use latest firmware because of my board is 8bit).
So i dont really know what to do now.

First off, the Creality 1.1.4 has TMC2208s, not A4988 as you’re stating. You might want to watch this video:

Secondly, don’t get ahead of yourself. Pressure advance is quite easy to set up and will give you better quality prints. Input shaping takes a bit more work and while you can do it manually, I recommend using an accelerometer. Regardless; get Klipper running reliably and printing before you start adding these functions.

Finally, for your first experience with Klipper, DON’T cheap out and setup Linux on some old laptop you have lying around as your host or, worse, use a Linux system that you’re using for other things.

Klipper requires a system with minimal (none being the ideal number) of background tasks running and this is difficult with a workstation and this is why I recommended starting out with a Raspberry Pi as Klipper setup with a Raspberry Pi is well documented and easy to follow resulting in a working system quickly without too many headaches. Trying to setup Klipper and getting it running on a Linux system will require significantly more work and will be a decidedly non-standard process unique to your system with a very good chance that prints will fail intermittently due to various background tasks (some of which cannot be removed) interfering with Klipper’s operation.

It will run on 4690k with 8gigs of ram im sure it will be enaugh.

Yes i did watch that video before, but some says that board comes from factory 1.1.4 with A4988, and that board with TMC steppers u can buy as “upgrade” called “silent board”. So i need to remove heatsink but i dont have heatgun or hot to do this so its quite mystery now what i have there.

So now i have another problem. Now i need to know what exactly stepper drivers i have, because i need to set this right?

I just did another search on the Creality 1.1.4 board’s drivers and there is confusion as to whether or not there are A4988s or TMC2209s.

If I look at the usable printer.cfg for the printer:

There are no statements for the TMC2208 so I would think that you have A4988s, regardless of what the video says.

Could you do a search here on “Klipper on Linux Laptop” and read through the various threads to get an idea of what kind of problems people have using a Linux workstation and how long it has taken them to resolve them. Again, it’s not the hardware that’s the issue, it’s the various processes running around in the system that you have to understand and maybe configure, modify, remove.

I’m strongly suggesting that you go with the Raspberry Pis because Klipper set up with one will take on the order of hours and can definitely be done in a day. With a Linux system it will be days that could stretch out into weeks.

I will install klipper no problem on this pc i even did this on wsl2 in windows but it was just install i didnt tested it.
Cant see anything related to stepper motor driver model in config file.
Problem is what calibrations i need to do and in what order i have to do it.
Lets say i have klipper installed with basic config file for my printer.
Lets say i want to do all the basic things.

1. Install Klipper on your host system. I suggest you use KIAUH
  2. Create the firmware for your 1.1.4 controller board and burn it in
  3. Select the basic printer.cfg (the link I gave you above: https://github.com/Klipper3d/klipper/blob/master/config/printer-creality-ender3-2018.cfg)
  4. Connect your 1.1.4 controller board to your host system using USB - Use this for determining the address: Frequently Asked Questions - Klipper documentation and update your printer.cfg
  5. I recommend doing a test print or two to demonstrate that your printer is working
  6. Do your pressure advance test tower and update your printer.cfg with the results using the instructions here: Pressure advance - Klipper documentation
  7. Do a input shaper tower or wire in an adxl345 into your system and update your printer.cfg with the results using the instructions here; Resonance Compensation - Klipper documentation
  8. Go forth and print using Klipper

Do i need to?

1. Calibrate Extruder(that test for 100mm extrusions)
  2. Calibrate PID for temperatures
  3. Calibrate E-Steps for dimensional accuracy
  4. Retraction Speed
  5. Temperature Tower

There will be probably more of those i dont remember now all.
Most of those i did but it was on current marlin.
But probably i should do that again right?

Unless you’ve changed the hot end, then what’s in the default printer.cfg I linked will be fine, at least to start.

Honestly, you’re getting ahead of yourself. Get your host up and running as well as connected to the Creality 1.1.4 board. It’s going to be a non-trivial exercise for you.

Okay will do tomorrow i hope, when arduino uno with cables and accelerometer(gy521-mpu6050 that seller didnt had adxl but should work fine) come in package.
Thanks for help.
I will probably do more posts i bet :smiley:
So laters mate.

Just as a warning: Running Klipper in a Virtual Machine (VM)

Ok. So i have Ubuntu Server installed on ssd, Burned bootloader (with marlin 1.9.1 just to check if its all good with flash).
Installed Klipper, Moonraker, Mainsail.

So to flash i go Advanced/Build only/
Micro-controller Architecture(Atmega AVR)
Processor model (atmega1284p)
Processor speed (16Mhz)
Communication interface (UART0)
(250000) Baud rate for serial port

I dont know about those 2 (NEW) Settings so i leave it disabled.
i click save.

I flashed using USB mode and i got message [OK] Flashing succesfull.

I got blue screen on lcd, and mcu unable to connect error.
What now?

When i go Advanced/Get MCU ID in kiauh i get message [No MCU found]

When i flash i have communication interface UART only.
I have 1.1.4 8bit board, i dont know if it support it.

when i do
ls /dev/serial/by-id
i got
ls: cannot access ‘/dev/serial/by-id’: No such file or directory
That guides doesnt help me at all. So stop linking that please and try to help me.

I previously wrote:

I’m strongly suggesting that you go with the Raspberry Pis because Klipper set up with one will take on the order of hours and can definitely be done in a day. With a Linux system it will be days that could stretch out into weeks.

and then when you insisted on this path:

Get your host up and running as well as connected to the Creality 1.1.4 board. It’s going to be a non-trivial exercise for you.

This is what help looks like in the path that you have insisted on taking. Nobody here knows exactly what your system is along with the software that’s running on it, nor do people here have the time to sit down with you to figure out what needs to be done for your exact system. Unfortunately, there isn’t a payment system for people to help you - so most of the work is going to have to be carried out by you.

You’re getting good advice and directions for getting your system up and running. Regardless, you’re going to have to spend time reading the links provided, do the work in figuring out how to get things working and work through the problems that come up.

People here can help but there is no simple, single approach to setting up a Klipper host on a Linux PC.

At least this is a new way to politely ask for help. Have fun :slight_smile: