Kobra 2 Neo flashing woes

Basic Information:

Printer Model: Kobra2 Neo
MCU / Printerboard: Stock: Trigorilla 4.0.1
klippy.log

Following the K2Neo klipperizing from its thread, I’m trying to get my K2Neo flashed with the firmware bin file that zamonary1 supplied. The display says "updating firmware, then darks out, but I’m unable to get the thing to appear as a USB connection to my BTTPad7 (OrangePi CM4). I have connected to my Nep3Max as a sanity check and all is well on that one.

I am a freshly reformatted 8gb card with only the relevant file.

Just to check, I flashed it back to stock, the LCD works again and it has the usual stock UI. I had tried flashing to stock with a differently named file based on advice that using same name on sequential flashes might be a problem, but it didn’t work until I renamed it to “firmware” and then it loaded to Anycubic UI as expected. Strangely, the firmware.bin file STILL stays .bin, not cur.

At this point, I put the Klipper bin back on the card, named 01152024.bin (again, in case dup names might be an issue), and turned the machine on, machine loaded to normal Anycubic UI. Shut it off, renamed 01152024.bin to firmware.bin, and tried again. Screen says “updating firmware”, then goes dark. I wait a minute more, just in case, and shut down, pull card, plug in USB to BTTPad7, and… nothing. Cant find MCU. Again, the firmware.bin file stays .bin, not cur.

lsusb shows no sign of it, and /dev/ has no /serial/ folder. I verified all USB port paths and the rest of the BTTPad7 setup with my N3Max, which works fine. Something about this firmware flash isn’t working on this machine, or I’m missing a detail.

Thanks in advance.

OK, got it working. For whomever may find this useful, I flashed it back to stock, then flashed the firmware posted by kvgtx12 in Post 91 of the other thread. The screen never blanked, but I gave it a solid 5 mins, then shut off, pulled card, powered on, screen was dark. Powered back off, plugged in BTTPad7/OrangePi CM4 with a different USB cable, powered back up and turned Pad7 on. BAM! KlipperScreen with all parameters and menu options and no errors.

Good luck out there.

1 Like

Yay! Sorry I’m late to the party. Glad to hear you got it all working .

So what was the final fix? Just giving it more time, power cycles or the other USB cable? Combination of the three?
Reminds me of some finicky older servers when it was time to reboot. Grab your prayer beads and get ready for a rain dance, with the power of belief we will make this thing boot! :grin:

I had not loaded that particular firmware image from stock, only after other firmware .bins linked from elsewhere in the thread. I don’t know if there’s any way for one non-working Klipper image to salt the earth for another image which would otherwise work or not. I had been going in circles with it for a day and a half, but the combination of THAT image being flashed on top of a stock AnyCubic fw image, plus a different cable just for grins (both worked to charge phones, but maybe other pins weren’t satisfactory?) and then success. The thing is totally flying and churning out PETG parts for my increasingly modified OG AC Neo.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.