Lost communication with MCU 'mcu'

Hello everyone,

I have been having a very hard to diagnose problem, I have a ender 5 with the Creality 4.2.7 board and as raspberry PI 4I am getting this problem:

And on dmesg:

[ 2770.793730] ch341-uart ttyUSB0: usb_serial_generic_read_bulk_callback - urb stopped: -32
[ 2781.794698] ch341-uart ttyUSB0: usb_serial_generic_read_bulk_callback - urb stopped: -32

my lsusb

Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 005: ID 0bda:8179 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. RTL8188EUS 802.11n Wireless Network Adapter
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 1a86:7523 QinHeng Electronics HL-340 USB-Serial adapter
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 046d:081b Logitech, Inc. Webcam C310
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 2109:3431 VIA Labs, Inc. Hub
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

I am running l klipper commit db5a4351a5d580563fa4c0323997a4f48bfe120d

So far to mitigate the problem I have tried:

• Change the power supply of the Pi
  • Other PI
  • Update raspberry pi firmware
  • Change USB Cable
  • Wrapped the USB cable in aluminum tape (this actually helped for a few days)
  • Tried downgrading to usb 1 with ``dwc_otg.speed=1t
  • Did several updates to all the systems.

So far no nothing that could help me diagnose the problem further. I think the only thing I have to try is set up serial communication, but I have no idea where to connect to the board, according to the klipper config example you can do it, but I have no idea what those pins are mean.

Here is my klippy.log, with the error:

Loaded MCU 'raspberry' 107 commands (v0.10.0-450-gdb5a4351 / gcc: (Raspbian 8.3.0-6+rpi1) 8.3.0 binutils: (GNU Binutils for Raspbian) 2.31.1)
MCU 'raspberry' config: PCA9685_MAX=4096 ADC_MAX=4095 PWM_MAX=32768 CLOCK_FREQ=50000000 MCU=linux STATS_SUMSQ_BASE=256
mcu_temperature 'mcu' nominal base=357.558140 slope=-767.441860
MCU error during connect
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/pi/klipper/klippy/klippy.py", line 180, in _connect
    cb()
  File "/home/pi/klipper/klippy/mcu.py", line 723, in _connect
    config_params = self._send_get_config()
  File "/home/pi/klipper/klippy/mcu.py", line 710, in _send_get_config
    self._name,))
error: Can not update MCU 'mcu' config as it is shutdown
Build file /home/pi/klipper/klippy/../.config(680): Mon Jun  6 20:57:09 2022

Any sugestions would be welcome

1 Like

Iā€™m having the same issue. It disconnects with a ā€œLost connection to MCUā€ error even when i just leave the printer turned on and not printing anything.

I tried a few different usb power supplies. Tried different cables. Taped off the 5v output in usb cable. Recompiled and reflashed klipper.

Hi,

same situation here. Printer is a Voron Trident with a Raspi 3 B+. The strange thing Iā€™ve noticed, that after this crash my USB camera doesnā€™t work anymore until it reboot the pi.

Attached the log:
klippy (6).log (1.4 MB)

After several trials I could locate my problem as an issue with the USB host controller. It just couldnā€™t keep up with the camera plus klipper. Since I disconnected my camera I didnā€™t have a single issues anymore.

Elims, I have the same problem and itā€™s no issue when I remove the USB camera. Do you think a raspberry 4 would solve it? Tried to find if it has a more powerful hostcontroller but wasnā€™t able to find any information about thatā€¦

Havenā€™t tried yet. But most people donā€™t seem to have this problem. But raspiā€™s are kind of unobtianium at the moment.

Yeah, would be interesting to try but just noticed thread starter here has a RPI 4 and also has the same issueā€¦
Wonder what is common with our setup that creates this problem. Sometimes even my raspberry crashes, does not seem to matter if I print or not. If I unplug the camera all is fine againā€¦

Elims, I borrowed a raspberry 4b from another project, and it has been running fine now for over 24 hours, so I really think it solved it, at least for me.

Then Iā€™ll need to look into my boxes if I can find a raspi 4.

I am struggling with the same issues. Ender 5 Pro with 4.2.2 board, and an RPi 4. Usually within 1 day it will throw an MCU communication error (even while idling, not printing). Lately my prints are failing within a couple of hours at seemingly random moments.

I have tried:

• Multiple quality USB cables, including shielded ones with magnetic ring EMI noise suppressors.
  • Different USB ports on the RPi. USB2 and USB3.
  • Disconnecting +5V on the USB cable to the printer.
  • Updating all software/firmware
  • Physically locating the RPi 4 and the USB cable away from the printer (as much as practical).
  • Using a UPS power source
  • An RPi 400, and new microSD card

I realized one possible source of EMI could be my USB camera which was mounted on top of the printer. I have tried relocating that away from the printer as well and am currently doing a print to see what happens.

Getting frustrated! Debating if I do a rebuild with UART using the LCD display pins. Havenā€™t found a decent idiot-proof guide for that though. And I enjoy having the LCD screen. So might need to go down the rabbit hole of Klipperscreen too. Grr.

Lost communication with MCU ā€˜mcuā€™
Once the underlying issue is corrected, use the
FIRMWARE_RESTART command to reset the firmware, reload the
config, and restart the host software.
Printer is shutdown

• Ender 3 s1 pro
  • Creality sonic pad

plz help me

klippy (1).log (532.3 KB)
moonraker (1).log (174.7 KB)

I ended up solving the issue by switing to CAN comunication between raspberry pi and the SKR mini board. This issue seem impossible to diagonse furder. Just gave up on the creality board. I recomend anyone doing the same.

Was having seme issue, eventually finding that the Micro-B USB cord was being bumped or moved from vibration, causing the error. Printed a holder for the USB into the printer board, had no problems since.
I put it on thingiverse - Search Thingiverse - Thingiverse

Hi, I have exactly the same hardware and the same problem.
Did you solve the issue in the meanwhile?
Sometimes, the prints run flawlessly, somtimes the system shuts downā€¦

KR
Skyman

I was having the same issue ā€œklipper has shutdown - lost communication with mcuā€.

I had made some brackets, a housing and some cable management for my FLSUN Super Racer. I disassembled part of the printer to hide/route wires to make it look nicer and keep my wife happy. The pieces I designed look great and I knew she would be happy with the way everything looks now. After connecting all the cables, I powered on the rpi4b and the SR and went about cleaning up my mess. I noticed the LCD screen kept flashing which was odd. Then I noticed a very fleeting image and captured it on video to get the above error message. I found this topic on the first shot. I unplugged my camera and restarted Klipper. It worked! I plugged the camera back in and after about 15 seconds, the problem came backā€¦ This all worked flawlessly before adding some plastic cosmetic pieces to the printer. As most of you know, the rpi4b has 4 usb ports. I hadnā€™t unplugged two of the devices (bluetooth transmitter/receiver for keyboard/mouse and the usb from the pi to the lcd panel). That left only the cables to the printer and the camera. I switched ports and rebooted the pi. All works perfectly now. FYI, I did switch them back just to test again and it lost communication with the mcu again. Soā€¦ If you have this problem, try the camera in a different port or three. Worked for me.

1 Like

Something weird happened today. I will pass it along in case it relates to this problem. I fired up my printer uneventfully. Klipper connected to the printer. I remoted in and saw there were updates to Klipper and to System. I loaded both and rebooted the Raspberry PI4 host. Upon reboot, I could not connect to the printer.
Power to the controller board? Yes
USB cable still plugged in Okay? Yes
Cable good? Yes
It was like Klipper could no longer find the board. I ran ls /dev/serial/by-id/* to see if I had a Raspian problem or a Klipper problem. To my surprise the path was no good. I changed directory into /dev/serial/ and there was no by-id folder. There was a by-path folder. So, I ran /dev/serial/by-path/* and copied the result into my printer.cfg and all was well.
So, I am now running fine, but I have no explanation of what happened.
See if this fixes your problem.

I think i found something !
Read this: Frequently Asked Questions - Klipper documentation
Then this: https://github.com/RfidResearchGroup/proxmark3/blob/master/doc/md/Installation_Instructions/ModemManager-Must-Be-Discarded.md

1 Like

Can confirm that a USB camera draws too much power from the Pi to keep the connection active. I have two printers with USB cameras and both are always saying ā€œUndervoltage Detected!ā€. When I removed the camera from one of the printers, I have yet to get that error message. I got a suggestion from a friend to try using a powered USB hub to connect the camera. I will try that and report back.

have you same news?

Hello @primo !

If you have issues with your setup - and with respect of the age of this thread - I recommend to open a new thread in Get Help with all the requested information.